Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits?  Why? >
  • What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

• What's the one thing you clean when a certain someone visits? Why?

Old 09-27-2011, 05:09 AM

Before DH retired, I had a spotless house all the time. Of course, I was young and able in those days. Now I have to follow the man around with dust cloth, broom and mop! I gave up long ago. My friends don't see as well as they used to, so I pick up clutter. The guest bath stays clean since that is the one I use when sewing.
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:09 AM

the bathroom, cause folks are in there by theirselves and they can inspect things.... LOl
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:10 AM

I try to keep the living room/kitchen picked up and the bathroom clean. The rest of it is my territory and nobody else's business.
    My studio is a work in progress so it is what it is. Eventually that other wall will get painted, I will have shelves all around and will have things arranged like they should be. For now I'm digging through boxes any time I need something.
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:13 AM
    Power Poster

I hit "the high spots" with a dust rag to get the bunnies that the cats missed and clean the bathroom. If I have plenty of notice, I'll run the vacuum. I don't worry about any of it too much though. I figure if they are uncomfortable in my house, they don't HAVE to come back!
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:15 AM

We stay "picked up" pretty much and that goes a long way toward making folks think we are pretty clean. About 5 minutes with a damp towel and a Swiffer duster usually makes us ready for most anything :-)

Oh - and picking up all the toys the cats bring into the kitchen all the time from their toy basket in the living room.
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:22 AM

I saw on someone's front door once, a cute wooden sign that said, "I cleaned my house yesterday. Too bad you missed it." LOL That is the story of my life. I home-schooled 4 kids. They seemed to create more mess behind me as I was cleaning. Our house is never perfect. It's lived in. If they come to see a perfectly put together house - it ain't happening. It's clean - just somewhat cluttered. But I'll do a quick once-over if I know people are going to come.
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Hmmm, this isn't an issue for me. Nobody ever comes to see me, at least not without advanced planning. They say it's too far to come. I always tell them the distance from their house to mine is the same as the distance from my house to theirs! I'm talking all of ten miles here.

But, I think I'd scrape the cat hair off the sofa, wash the dishes, and clear the shoes off the porch. Otherwise, the house is usually pretty clean. Except the sewing room, of course. :D
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 AM

I usualy do a quick sweep around the living areas, which can sometimes be just picking up piles of paper into one pile - stick the laptop by it and a pen and it looks like work in progress! and sweeping the boys' toys to the side so that it's easier to walk around the lounge to the various seats without standing on something ...

I like the kitchen to be bright and clean with clear surfaces, and a quick wip over makes me feel better ... and if I'm given enough notice I'll do a swish and tidy aroudn the bathrooms ...

For all of that it feels more like a 'neaten up' the existing (low) standards rather than actually changing anything fundamental ... I am what I am, and whilst I'd love to have a tidy and cleaner home, I'm all to aware that I spend the given time on other matters ....

Helen
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:32 AM

If its clean enough for my family then its clean enough for any one else
    Old 09-27-2011, 05:35 AM
    Power Poster

I always give the bathroom an extra check up, clean the potty, clean the sink area, replace the towel, check TP, soap etc. I myself like using a super clean bathroom too. Just picking up and vacuuming goes a long ways too. I do not want people to think just because we are a large family it is messy.