Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • When did and who taught you to sew? >
  • When did and who taught you to sew?

• When did and who taught you to sew?

Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM

I saw this topic last night and knew I wanted to read all of the answers so I followed it until I had a little more time

I remember every lady around me sewing, my Mama, my Granny, aunts, cousins etc. Mama made all of my and my sister's clothes until she went to work. One of my aunts made all of my barbie clothes. I had some of the best dressed dolls around. Quilts were always on our beds.

Mama never quilted, but my Granny and my aunts did. I was 12 when one of my aunts let me make my first quilt top. My Granny helped me quilt it.

I took Home Ec in middle school, I think in either 7 or 8 grade. I have the stuffed animal we made at the house, then we made wrap around skirts. Been a few years since then, and with raising kids I put sewing down for a while but since I have picked it back up, I am having a great time trying to play catch up. :)
    Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM

I am sew much enjoying reading all the stories, replies. Thanks :thumbup:
    Old 07-08-2011, 11:51 AM
    Kas

My mom taught me how to hand sew when I was about seven or eight. I made a chicken out of a sock. I had to teach myself how to use a machine. That was when I was in my late 20's before the birth of my first child. Nine or so years later, I made my first quilt. I had to teach myself how to do that, too, by reading lots of books and watching videos.
    Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 PM

My Grandma used to make doll clothes for me also, all by hand and with no pattern, she then taught me to embroider a bit, and I watched her quilt until she passed away at the age of 96. Good lessons from her. Whenever I try to get by with a mistake that just won't work, I can hear her tell me to "rip it out, Judi, and start over." Makes me stop and rip it every time. I think she is watching over me, and I wonder what she would say about my sewing machine and all of our wonderful rulers and cutters and such
    Old 07-08-2011, 12:09 PM

I learned to sew in Home Ec in grade 7 and made a bright orange corduroy jumper with daisy trim around the neck and bottom. (I am a redhead and no one told my mother that orange and red don't go together) My mother used her old Kenmore machine just for mending. I made clothes for myself throughout high school and then made clothes for my DD. My ex husband and his mother quilted so that is how I started quilting. That was the one good thing I got from him! LOL
    Old 07-08-2011, 12:18 PM

[quote=ThayerRags]Late 1960s. My Mother let me sew a little bit on her Singer 301A as a teenager. Sewed leathercraft items off and on by hand between then and 2006, when my wife taught me how to mend and hem jeans on machines. She’s teaching me how to piece quilt blocks now.

CD in
    Oklahoma[/quo

Good for you. :thumbup:
    Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM

All the women in my family sewed, each had their own speciality. However, I was not allowed to use Mom's sewing machine. So never really learned to sew until I took Home EC in Junior High. Then I was finally allowed to use Mom's machine. Do they still teach Home EC in school these days???? If not, what ashame.
    Old 07-08-2011, 12:52 PM

My mom taught me when I was 10, the first thing I ever made was an apron for the mother daughter tea at church. I'm 54 now and still sewing up a storm.
    Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 PM

Mom taught me to sew when I was 10. Grandma taught me to quilt at age 14. Do both on a limited basis now due to splitting my time between working and homemaker. I'm at the age where my "get-up-and-go" slowed down.
    Old 07-08-2011, 01:00 PM

My mother bought a sewing machine and started making my clothes when I was in 1st or 2nd grade. She showed me how to use the machine and I would make doll clothes. In Jr. High, I took home ec. and learned at least a few skills in the process. Since then I haven't sewn very much (never felt I was very good at it) until I decided I wanted to learn to quilt. I bought a decent, but not overly expensive, Kenmore in January of 2010. In February, I had two deaths in the family and that machine wasn't removed from the box until October. I've been playing ever since! :-)