Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • When does "enough" become "too much" ? If ever? >
  • When does "enough" become "too much" ? If ever?

• When does "enough" become "too much" ? If ever?

Old 08-18-2013, 12:38 PM
    Power Poster

I see both of those quilts as multicolored.

The first one, the yellow background and spectacular border print are the first things I see.

In the second one, I see the border print, white/light background, and the many colors used in the hearts and inner borders.

I do get your point, though, that using a variety of shades of one color - and maybe even dipping into the 'next one' can frequently make a quilt more interesting.
    Old 08-18-2013, 12:45 PM

Hmmm. This provokes thought. I have plenty. I don't NEED anymore of anything. I've got fabric, a whole bolt of ~90" batting (40 yds), many patterns (singles, books, magazines and printed pics from this site), and two machines. I do feel as though I should turn out more or finish at least one before I buy more during the shop hop in a few weeks. I currently have 7 wips. I have some self control. I'm addicted to purchasing material and patterns, just as much as I'm addicted to sugary goodness! Love me some material!!!
    Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 PM

If it is an addiction it will pass. I have been quilting for about 20 yrs and went thru the fabric shopping, gadgets, threads etc. I now am in my later 70's and I just want to say that as a quilter "ages" the desire to buy everything fades. Now I only buy what I need. I can go into Joann's with my coupons and just look around and I end up giving them to someone who doesn't have any. I still quilt but not with the determination that I once had. So younger quilters, don't worry, just have fun and don't forget to make a charity quilt once in a while. We need to share our talents with others.
    Old 08-18-2013, 02:28 PM

I love fabric and if I see something I absolutely love, I buy it, but I don't go to the store without a budget. Yesterday, I got about 9 yards of fabric (including some 1/2 yard pieces and some of what's left on a bolt; this store gives a credit on because I take what's left) for $23 and a little basket for $4. My budget was $30 so I have $2 to add to the next trip! I find if I don't do it that way, I could go crazy. Btw, the store had a great sale on quilter's showcase fabric at $2.49/yd. Happy Quilter!

Last edited by Lovequilting22; 08-18-2013 at 02:32 PM.
    Old 08-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Enough is enough when you are spending more money than you can afford. When you are buying more than you can ever possibly use. When your "stash" causes you stress. When your stash is a hazard.
    Old 08-18-2013, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

I have to ask myself if I really need that because I buy fabric a lot. It is an addiction but I figure I don't smoke, drink or go out much so I justify it that way....Good excuse I guess....
    Old 08-18-2013, 06:59 PM

When I first started quilting I was working full time and had the time and money to sit on the computer and shop for "good deals" on fabric. Which I did. I also bought a lot of fat quarters. However, since then I have found that I do not like doing scrap quilts and a fat quarter is rarely enough material for the quilts I want to do. I would recommend for any first time quilter: Buy only what you can use for each quilt you want to do. I have since retired and have the time to do all the quilts I want. But I have enough fabric to last my lifetime and regret buying so much. I may be moving soon and I can't imagine moving all this fabric.