Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • When my kids were little........... >
  • When my kids were little...........

• When my kids were little...........

Old 06-25-2010, 07:41 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
    Children can come up with the cutest things to say. One of mine favorite thing to eat a Mickey D's was I want a hamburglar, frutfries and a mooshake. He still orders that, but in better English.
    Hamburglar makes me think of the earlier MickeyD commercials! There really was a Hamburlar on them! And I love the mooshakes!!
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:45 AM
    Power Poster

I have an autistic grandson who is now 9 and never stops talking. But when he was little he didn't start talking til he was 4. then it was all repeating things he heard. When he started putting a few words together that made sense to us he would ask to go Green shopping or Purple shopping. He loved going shopping from the time he was born. DD Sara just played along thinking it was a fantasy thing. She finally figured out many months later he was refering to the color on the outside of Walmart!! He wanted to go to Mt. Pleasant Walmart which sure enough had Green in their signs! And he wanted to go to Burlington which had Purple in their signs!! He was communicating the only way he knew how but it took months for Sara to figure this out!!
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:52 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

We have a pizza place called Gatti's and when Eli wants to go there he will ask to go to Mc daddy's.
    Old 06-25-2010, 07:53 AM

When my DD was 2 she'd get in the fridge and bring me an egg. She'd say, "I wanta big egg" I'd take it and say, "Okay, I'll cook it for you." She'd cry, "No, momma, I want a BIG egg." No one could figure out what she was talking about. Finally one day we were at Mom and Dad's house, she open the fridge and screamed, "OH, GAMMA, THANK YOU!! You make big egg." At last we realized that she was talking about devilled eggs. Still one of her favorites.
    Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 AM

Also at Mom and Dad's one day:
    We were getting ready to have a big family dinner and started to set the table. Mom pulled us girls aside and said, "Girls, your dad is really failing. Now don't say anything about it but check the silverware carefully because he's been putting them away without being washed." (Dad was 82). A little later Dad, in the other room, said, "You girls be careful when setting the table. Your mom's eyesight is getting so bad that she's not getting the silverware clean." Neither of them wanted us to say anything to the other. After dinner we were cleaning the table and DD (2 at the time) said, "My help", grabbed a handful of silverware and put it in the drawer---dirty! Case closed.
    Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 AM
    Power Poster

I love reading all these stories!! thanks everyone for sharing your memories!!
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:02 AM

Thank you for opening this thread and giving us an opportunity to recall some of them. Today is my 15th wedding anniversary but it's not a very happy day. It's also the 7th anniversary of my daddy getting killed. I have a hard time celebrating so we usually just ignore it. However, it might have been nice to be together instead of him taking off to spend the day with his brother.
    This thread has brightened my day somewhat.
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:17 AM
    Power Poster

Well I find myself telling these little stories to people not always sure they want to hear them tho! LOL So I thought this is a place I can chatter without boring anyone! LOL

I love hearing other people's memories too! So good to laugh and or cry over these sweet memories! My kids are grown with kids of their own but my memories of them as little ones will live forever in my memory.
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:21 AM

My favorite is when my nephew asked the whole family not to make fun of him by saying "Don't funny me".

We weren't making fun at him but we were laughing really hard after he said that. The poor kid started to cry. :oops:
    Old 06-25-2010, 11:24 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

My youngest was breast fed, never realized this would cause a problem. When he was a year old he thought he could feed off any woman. Dd was holding him and he decided he would try to help himself. That poor girl freaked.