Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • When my kids were little........... >
  • When my kids were little...........

• When my kids were little...........

Old 06-27-2010, 07:14 AM

Well my daughter was 2 1/2 and I had went to town and left her home with Daddy. We were being very careful to watch our language as she was picking up words daily.

I get home and since I was trying to potty train, I switched her to panties. She was playing in the living room and I was washing dishes. All the sudden I here her cry and look in and she blurts our "God Damn It I potty my pants". I was stunned! and yes she had pottied. Got her changed and I marched straight outside to talk with dear husband. "Did you use the God Dammit word outside today" his response "Well maybe I smashed my finger with t he hammer." Of course, after finding where she got her inspiration I told him the story and we laughed till we cried.

We are currently working on teaching my DD to brush her hair saying that "You need to get all the rats out!" Last week DS had a mosquito bite on his head and it has gotten oozy and dried overnight. The next morning he came out and asked me for a hairbrush and prompty stated "I need it because I have a raccoon in my hair" I was laughing so hard I couldn't correct him.

Sheila
    Old 06-27-2010, 12:34 PM

My daughter one day asked me what "FASHIONDYE" meant.
    I said I don't know tell me where you heard it.
    She said when I pray it is in my prayer.
    "If I should die before I wake".
    She was saying it so fast all 4 words were messed together into fashiondye (If I should die).
    Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 PM

My son used to say "I'm free" (three).

When he was in little league, one of the boys fell out of their family's pick-up and broke his arm. My son took his own money and bought a baseball. He had all the boys and coaches sign it. The head coach wanted to pay him for the ball but he refused. They had only had a couple of practices so he didn't know the kid very well. I don't think I have ever been as proud of him as I was that day. He is 36 now and still has a big heart.
    Old 06-27-2010, 01:06 PM

Panther Creek your post reminded me of the time that my daughter said "Oh I forgot my f-ing umbrella". She didn't know I was there and heard her. I said "What did you say?" She shrugged her shoulders and did not know what to say. That same daughter said that today her daughter said "Will you shut him up!!" meaning Alex, my Grandson. He was crying. I guess she must have heard me say it to our parrot when he gets loud. I've got to watch everything you say!!! LOL
    Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 PM

Wow! These were funny! Y'all reminded me of a couple of laughs from the old days.

When we brought child #3 (and first daughter) home from the hospital, middle son (2 1/2 yrs old ) watched us change her diaper. When we took her wet diaper off, he got really upset and said 'Broke!'.

We took our first son (age 3) on his first plane ride, and during the flight the stewardess (that's what we called them in those days) gave him a stick of gum and told him it would help his ears. Yup, Jason unwrapped the stick of gum and tried to jam it in his ear.
    Old 06-27-2010, 04:02 PM
    Power Poster

When my youngest son was about 4 I had been cutting cheese on the kitchen table with a knife. I put it to the back of the table out of reach and went out to get my 5 yr old off the bus. Went back in and Glen had cut his finger on the knife. It wouldn't quit bleeding so I ended up having to take him to the dr and get it stitched. When the dr asked him if he got the knife off the table he told her NO the knife jumped off the table and bit him! It took 5 of us to hold him down so the dr could stitch his finger. So when it was time to go back to take out the stitches he wouldn't let me take him! He had to have his dad take him! LOL

A few weeks later he got a big thorn in his hand and he hid in the house. He was afraid he would have to go back to the dr. He finally told his sister and she came and got me. We took it out with tweezers and all was good!
    Old 06-27-2010, 11:00 PM

When my son was around 6, (now 36) he insisted he came from Mars. I had taken him to the Dr. for his yearly checkup. When the Dr. went to listen to his heart, he grabbed the stethascope & yanked it to the other side of his chest & told her that he was from Mars & his heart was on the other side. She grinned at me & said okay to him while slowly moving it back to his left side. He leaned over & got in her face & said " I told you my heart is on the other side". So she ended up listening to his heart through his back. Also he wouldn't eat toast unless it was burnt cause that is the way they ate it on Mars.
    Another time when we went to a friends house, he walked in patting the top of his head to show my friend the knife growing out of his head. Then a little later he came running in from the bedroom saying to my friend. My knife broke off. My friend said " oh no, what will you do?" He pats her on the shoulder & said, "don't worry, it will grow back."
    Old 06-27-2010, 11:07 PM

Our 6 year old GD told her Mom one day. Mommy, if you want to talk to God today, you will have to come to me cause God is on vacation & I am taking his place. This is my son's daughter. Like father like daughter with the imagination.

Another GS when he was 3 ( now 18) instead if saying ,I can if I want to, would say, I have to if I want to. He still says it with a big grin.
    Old 06-28-2010, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
    What favorite memories or little stories do you have about your kids or grandkids growing up?

When my daughter Sara was little she used to run outside any chance she got without a diaper. The family dubbed her Saresy-Baresy! To this day if her dad wants to tease her (she is 34) he will call her that! She absolutely hates it!! LOL But she takes it with good grace from her dad but death to anyone else who uses it!! LOL
    One of my little guys would also run out without any clothes. I found him screaming one day in the sandbox, only to discover that a spider had bitten his little private part! Fortunately, there was no permanent damage, but, oh the nicknames he still has to this day!
    Old 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM

One of my favorite was that I had taken my middle daughter to the store and got her a pair of sandals for the summer and a little box of candy at the check-out stand. We were driving home and she had her feet stuck straight out, admiring her new shoes, and eating her candy.

I teasingly said, "So, do you think they will last you all summer?" (meaning the shoes).

She got a worried look and said, "If I eat them reaaallll slow."