When Unemployed??

Old 06-06-2011, 06:56 AM

There are grocery stores in neighboring towns around us run by churches for people in our area. A new one just opened close to us 3 weeks ago. Maybe there is one in you’re area too? They are designed for families who have lost part or all of their income. The items they carry are limited but they will be putting money back in as they go. It is a ‘no frills’ store but who cares. The article about this store said that the prices are considerably less than Walmart or a grocery store. $60 at Walmart for groceries is $20 at this store. If you can swing it, stock up on frequently used items when they are on sale or buy 1 get 1 free.

Turn off lights & celing fans when not in the room. Unplug appliances when you aren’t using them, they still draw power and this adds up over time.

Dry your clothes on a clothes line or dryer rack instead of running your dryer.

When running errands plan ahead and make all your stops in one trip instead of going back & forth.

When driving even around town set your cruise control.

Price insurance companies for your cars, health, house, renters insurance. DH saved $1000 last year doing this!

Consider eliminating your TV. You can watch TV at www.hulu.com for free on-line.

If you are buying fabric these days buy it on sale or consider thrift stores and yard sales.

You could also do a google search for more ideas.

Keep the faith!!! This won’t last forever!!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Everything posted by A RIMUSE is excellent advice.

We have lived this way for our entire 30 years together, plus been dedicated savers so that there is a stash in case of emergencies. Do everything you can to pay off any credit cards, and then pitch them unless you're sure you will be able to pay them off at the end of EACH billing period.

I took note of the "no lights left on in an empty room." Have always done this and have had people argue that "it costs more to turn them on and off. Not so, my bill is always lower than others. Air conditioning...I like it cool at night for sleeping, around 73 degrees, but the first thing in the morning I move the thermostat to 80 and leave it there until the sun goes down. This makes a huge difference in the summer. Again, you'll get the arguements that it costs more to cool the house down. Not so! When the sun is down nature helps with the cooling. In the winter BUNDLE UP and I keep the temp at about 68 degrees. My quilting friends who come each week know to dress accordingly. They still come, so they must not mind.

We never eat out, but once or twice a year, and wonder why we did it afterwards. Our cooking is so much better in every way than what we get out. For fun and recreation, go to the park and enjoy one another at home. A family puzzle is great to have sitting out for anyone to work on.

Cell phones should be for emergency only. What a waste of time and money. I still have my little Tracfone and buy only 60 minutes every three months. I've got about 700 minutes accumulated now, but figure it will be good if there is ever an emergency situation.

Good luck to you, and believe me "The simple life is good!"
Old 06-06-2011, 07:03 AM

Ditto to SCRAP HAPPY, too.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:05 AM

I'm retired with a pension that has not had a cost of living increase in years, but I still manage to save some each month. I have supported myself since age 17 & always put money away for emergencies.

Only buy what is on sale & hopefully have a coupon.
Shop in closet for clothes.
Minimal driving - usually once a week to whoever has the best deals that week for food.
Basic cable.
Cell phone for emergencies only.
Basic local call only house phone.
Never pay interest on credit cards or car loans. If you don't have the money in the bank to purchase something, you cannot affored it.
My yard & garden is my gym & I walk in my neighborhood & parking lots when shopping. I don't pay to exercise.

I get very annoyed at all the gadgets this generation is teaching their kids that they can't live without. We all need to get back to basic necessities instead of the "dream" homes.

Have you tried the "temp" services. They helped get me through college as well as supplement my teachers pay & I was offered many job opportunities at places I was sent to.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 AM

My daughter has not worked in 6 weeks and will be returning soon, my sil is out due to a serious injury and won't be returning to work its hard for them the first thing to go is the internet, then lowering cable to no cable tv or bundling phones internet and such when there is a sale, they eat alot of vegtables and fruit what ever is on sale. a small garden this summer, then thank god for mom because we send them grocery money often weeek after week, this past week there lizard was gravely ill and needed the vets attention mom again, when there taxes came they paid there rent several months ahead and one day I surprized them and paid a month. I will go without for my family.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:41 AM

Lots of great ideas!! It's so rough out there for all of us! So scary! I need new furnace, water tank and roof. Don't qualify for assistance. I don't know what were gonna do.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful ideas here!!
I can only reiterate what others have said but the biggie for me is to pay off credit card each month. I got in the habit and now it's the only way I will charge anything. Once you do it I believe, at least for me, that I think twice about what I'm charging.
My Mom grew up in the Depression and I learned a lot of her thrifty ways (but not all LOL)
Old 06-06-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Lots of great ideas!! It's so rough out there for all of us! So scary! I need new furnace, water tank and roof. Don't qualify for assistance. I don't know what were gonna do.
How do you find out about the assistance for things like AC, etc. Mine just "died" and my son is "networking" to find someone who can fix it or even buy a replacement and install it during their off hours.

The "regular" company quoted me $7,000 and I almost fainted and it wasn't from the HEAT! I only have a 1200 SF home. I'm on SSDI only and had to draw out balance of my IRA to buy meds.

I was wondering about any type of assistance...
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Paniacs Have you tried checking Craigslist for the furnace and watertank? You may be able to find a good used one much more affordably. I wish you the best with this.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:28 AM

All great ideas!

No credit cards, so there are no payments for those :) our big expenses are the mtg, a home equity line from 3 years ago, car pymt and our electric bill. No matter what I do, our bill is minimum 250 a month. Our house is all electric, flush the toilet and it uses electric. I am not a big light person and never have a light on in a room I am not in....it's just the rates here and it never seems to make a difference what we do. I've even talked to the electric company, and we reviewed my house size (2600 sq ft.) and the things we have in it, and she said based on others in my area, we are on the low end!

I haven't gone for a hair cut since the new year and DH goes about every 6 weeks. I do my own nails (have been for years) . Condense driving trips, but the grocery store is 10 miles in each direction, mall if I need it is 25.

Packaged phone, internet and cable back in Oct, lowering the bill by about 35 a month.

As long as I can get at least 2 days house cleaning with the girl I am working with, we are ahead of the game....more days means more money, but physically it is too much for me. I have alot of pain from Sciatica and am pushing it with the 2 or 3 days. Office work is what I always did before, but there are none hiring at this time. Retail is out cause of the constant standing on my feet...the sciatica prevents me from doing that for longer than about 10/15 minutes at a time without sitting down for a few to break up the spasm.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them all

robin