When Unemployed??

Old 06-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
How do you find out about the assistance for things like AC, etc. Mine just "died" and my son is "networking" to find someone who can fix it or even buy a replacement and install it during their off hours.

The "regular" company quoted me $7,000 and I almost fainted and it wasn't from the HEAT! I only have a 1200 SF home. I'm on SSDI only and had to draw out balance of my IRA to buy meds.

I was wondering about any type of assistance...
NanaMoms, contact your church they may have resources available or contacts for you. Also you can call 211 for more info but it isn’t available nationwide. I’ve heard there is a lot of good information from this number but have never called it myself. Also have heard it is hard to get through and you can sit on hold for a while. Also check with different a/c companies they aren’t all created equally. Ask them if they offer a senior discount.

Also if you or a spouse was a veteran you qualify for VA benefits and can get more affordable meds through them. I’ve been away from this for a while but 4 years ago there were about 100 meds available through the VA. Also sometimes you can call a pharmaceutical company directly, let them know you are having a hard time paying for your meds and some of them will discount your meds, some even give freebies.

I saw this article today “10 ways to save money on your utility bill” On page 12 there are more tips on how to save money in other areas too. http://www.bankrate.com/finance/smar...ty-bill-1.aspx
Old 06-06-2011, 08:39 AM

I too am unemployed now for about 8 months, we live very frugal and always have. All the others have given great advise theres only on thing I have to offer. My sister in law owned a heating and cooling business. She said they often took out perfectly fine AC units and furnaces, and put in higher effeciency models, of course these people had money to burn. But anyway they would save these units for people in your situation. They would install them for installation costs only. The AC and furnace were free to them so they figured it should be free to others. You might call around and tell them your situation and ask if they offer deals like this. Theres help out there we just have to be willing to ask. Good luck! Things will get betther hang in there.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:44 AM

Great suggestions. I think Dave Ramsey would tell you that you sell everything you dont need to survive--have a get out of debt garage sale and cut out everythingelse. Go get his books from the library. He doesnt believe in car payments. Sell the car even if you owe more than it is worth and buy a beater. It is tough but internet and cable are not life needs. He talks about getting extra part time jobs.

Knock on wood,we have not been hit this hard. We have taken a 25% reduction in income. But I can see how it has changed how everybody is dealing with things.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:46 AM

I went to Odesk.com and freelancer.com and type for them. I make about $200-300 a month. I also put $100 a/c in each of my windows in the bedroom, sewing room, and lvg room. It lowered my utility bill enough to pay for them. I only use them in the room I'm occupying. I keep the central air set on 80. It really dropped my electric bill, I have an all electric house. Last summer was $300 a month, this year $140.

skype is free on your computer, for $2.99 a month is long distance unlimited. That is what I use for all my long distance, if they have skype also, it is free to talk.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:02 AM

We live on a budget that has to last a full month. Husband only gets paid once a month. I have been out of work since 2007 and can't even find a job in the field I went to school for in 06-07. Sorry off track.
I use coupons, buy store brands, shop thrift stores, cut out the not needed things (except quilting). I also went to my utility company's and found out if they had a budget plan, where you pay a set amount every month all four seasons. When your bills are lower in summer months, any excess is put toward your account that is applied when your usage goes up in the winter months. Now mind you this probably only works if you see a signifigant decrease in you bills during summer. Check with your electric, gas, ect to see what they have to offer if anything. I feel your pain because it is hard to live on a budget in this econemy when everything is going up except wages and hours. Good luck.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:31 AM

Another idea to help you feel you are not so alone- go to the library and borrow the Tightwad Gazette books by Amy D.
Can't remember how to spell her last name at moment-it sounds like Dicison. She was frugal when so many people weren't and gives some great tips. The only thing I disagree with her is, don't brush your teeth with only water, use toothpaste! However you don't need much toothpaste to do a good brushing with.
Kat
Old 06-06-2011, 09:41 AM

Robin,
I also live in PA. I'm in the southeast & my electric bill averages $155.00/mo. I have a 2,500 sq.ft. house & I'm also totally electric. Have you talked to different electricity suppliers? This is the 1st yr. PA can do that. My thermostat does not go above 67 in the winter or below 77 in summer. I also shut off heat/air to bedrooms not in use & close the blinds when the sun is very hot as well as open bedroom windows when temperature is below 75 at nite. I'm faithful about unplugging everything not being used.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by sunni
All great ideas!

No credit cards, so there are no payments for those :) our big expenses are the mtg, a home equity line from 3 years ago, car pymt and our electric bill. No matter what I do, our bill is minimum 250 a month. Our house is all electric, flush the toilet and it uses electric. I am not a big light person and never have a light on in a room I am not in....it's just the rates here and it never seems to make a difference what we do. I've even talked to the electric company, and we reviewed my house size (2600 sq ft.) and the things we have in it, and she said based on others in my area, we are on the low end!

I haven't gone for a hair cut since the new year and DH goes about every 6 weeks. I do my own nails (have been for years) . Condense driving trips, but the grocery store is 10 miles in each direction, mall if I need it is 25.

Packaged phone, internet and cable back in Oct, lowering the bill by about 35 a month.

As long as I can get at least 2 days house cleaning with the girl I am working with, we are ahead of the game....more days means more money, but physically it is too much for me. I have alot of pain from Sciatica and am pushing it with the 2 or 3 days. Office work is what I always did before, but there are none hiring at this time. Retail is out cause of the constant standing on my feet...the sciatica prevents me from doing that for longer than about 10/15 minutes at a time without sitting down for a few to break up the spasm.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate them all

robin
I had a problem with sciatic nerve in my hip. Went to chiropractor..helped tremendously.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:09 AM

Television is FREE, why pay for TV? We live out in the country and have an OTA (over the air) antenna, it's absolutely free. I refuse to pay for cable or Dish TV, just because TV is positively, absolutely FREE. We probably get 3 dozen channels, all for free, no monthly bills to watch TV.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by donnajean
Robin,
I also live in PA. I'm in the southeast & my electric bill averages $155.00/mo. I have a 2,500 sq.ft. house & I'm also totally electric. Have you talked to different electricity suppliers? This is the 1st yr. PA can do that. My thermostat does not go above 67 in the winter or below 77 in summer. I also shut off heat/air to bedrooms not in use & close the blinds when the sun is very hot as well as open bedroom windows when temperature is below 75 at nite. I'm faithful about unplugging everything not being used.

Yep, I've checked around, right now I am using the lowest one I could find. I am on the budget too, but if I don't pay at least 250 per month, I will owe big time at the end of the year. No central air, just 2 window units and I only run them on days that there is high heat AND high humidity.

robin