When Unemployed??

Old 06-06-2011, 01:21 PM

I forgot about making your own laundry soap...it is cheap to make, easy, and works! Let me know if you want the directions on how to do it. I have done this many time to help make ends meet. Also, I don't buy cleaning solutions anymore. I mix up bleach water and bought some spray bottles, I use baking soda instead of an abrasive cleanser.

If you have a yard there are other things that you can do as well.

That is great about the windows and water heater! You might check your insulation in your attic. Most people do not have much and there should be at least 10 inches of it and blown cellulose is the most effective.
Old 06-07-2011, 03:08 AM

I agree with what everyone is saying, we do the same here. I do work part time but it all goes for gas in my vehicle. I use this website to print off coupons for about anything you need.

www.krazycouponlady.com
Old 06-07-2011, 03:31 AM

don't forget the food banks and where I live once a week a church has dinner for free-please don't be proud there are people and places out there to help. It will only be temporary and God willing things will get better. Hugs and prayers.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:46 AM

One of the best ways for me to save was cooking from scratch. Since you are home more you have the time. Don't buy the premade groceries. Make your own bread. (you'll really know what is in it.) If you make 2 or more loaves at a time your only using the oven once. If you don't have bread pans use cassarole dishes. You don't need a bread machine to make it. If you have a bread machine DON'T use the bread mixes. They are expensive. The least expensive way to get yeast is in bags at Sam's club or costco. If you don't belong ask a friend who does to pick it up for you.
Shop at thrift stores for cloths and watch the sale racks at the regular stores. It is fairly easy to change a hem, change buttons, etc. I once got a $116 dollar outfit on clearance for $12.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:03 AM

I know this sounds extreme but I know several people with large houses who do it. They take in a roommate. With 2600 SF and only two people, you may be house poor. Two people can live in 1000 sf comfortably.

Three of the people I know who share houses share them with people who travel for business.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 AM

after my stoke we had to get rid of my home in california i loved at a loss cause we got caught in the housing fall in the worst part of californis. they even bulldozed brand new homes down instead of leaving them empty. moved into our rental here in kansas (which I hate. but is a cheap mortgage) . got rid of the credit cards got rid of the second car got rid of cable and have a box and antenna that works great for us. the luxurys are cell phones and computer.with the things the way they are we lost eveything and have to start over now like alot of people these days. but we consider our selfs lucy cause we still have us and the other stuff was just material things. right now husband works two jobs and his retire from the service ties us over. from what i understand so far i can't get disability so i feel awful and useless. i have always been able to do something to help, out but not now.when he was laid off we learned i went back to making meals that stretched and we shop on base for our meats and all. i look at civilian prices at dillons and don't see how thet expect people to be able to buy it. if it was't for the base we would have to become vegatarian for sure.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:26 AM

I am not unemployed but I took a pretty big pay cut last year. My husband is self employed in the construction industry. Construction is now at an all time low since during world war II. Money is very tight. We pretty much shop for clothing etc at yard sales. My sister calls me the coupon queen. A couple of weeks ago I got 110 yards of fabric for $5. Last week I got at least 50 yards for $15. We plant a huge garden and buy meat etc only on sale. I have a freezer to store it all. We just now are finishing up the last of the produce from last summer.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 AM

cr12cats, never ever say you feel useless. if you are at home all day you are the smiling face your husband comes home to. you make it all worthwhile to have 2 jobs to hold things together. Have nice iced tea ready, have a meal ready, fresh clothes, whatever your hubs likes.
if you can, work in a garden or even have some planters around the door, seeds can be bought for 30C a packet at dollar type stores - coming home to a house that looks homey makes anyone feel happier about life.
sometimes the smallest things are the biggest things, sharet
Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome
I know this sounds extreme but I know several people with large houses who do it. They take in a roommate. With 2600 SF and only two people, you may be house poor. Two people can live in 1000 sf comfortably.

Three of the people I know who share houses share them with people who travel for business.
Actually it's 3 people, my son lives with us right now. He lived on his own and there was a fire in the building after which it was condemned :( He works and pays all his own expenses, and has been known to lend DH and I some money when necessary.

The house is too big for us, but it wasn't 10 years ago when we bought it....of course now I couldn't sell it for anything near what we have put into it, but hindsight is 20/20...

Depending on how things go financially in the next few months, we may have to make a decision we'd rather not make regarding the house :(

robin
Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by seamstome

More and more people are doing that to save their homes. Some families are renting out the extra bedrooms in their home.

I worked at an assisted living facility a couple years ago. One of the sweet ladies told me a story about her growing up in the depression on a farm. Her Mom had 12 children. A man came to the door looking for a place to stay and offered to work on the farm for his board and meals. She told him he was not allowed to sleep in the house but could sleep in the loft in the barn. He stayed with her family for 16 years working on the farm, sleeping in the loft and having meals with the family.

It would be wise of us that did not grow up during the depression to turn to our elders so that they can share their wisdom with us.