When Unemployed??

Old 06-07-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy

It would be wise of us that did not grow up during the depression to turn to our elders so that they can share their wisdom with us.
Well said! One lesson I learned was to listen to the ones who have been through what I was going through at that time.
Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 AM

I'm very lucky. I have practiced prudence for years even if I don't have to but it like a game with me. Right now I am working on our cable, internet,phone bill.
I simply tell them I want their best price for the service. I have been amazed at the price I get! Almost half of what I had been paying.
One night we had quests for dinner and I mentioned that I shopped at Aldi's and have yet to buy anything I was unhappy with. Her reply:"Aldi's-that's where the poor people shop!" I replied:"No,that's where the smart shop!"
Old 06-07-2011, 07:05 AM

You can go the web sites online for the companies that make your meds and apply to get free meds,,some are delivered to your mailbox and some to your doctor and then you just pick them up. All you need is a doctors prescription and then the doc has some areas to fill out. Type in www.pparx.org. Years ago I had a one year free prescription for an expensive med and they sent it right to my house. There is lots of help out there for meds. dont do without.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 AM

I live in the country alone except for the 8 dogs that are with me. My house has window air conditioners. With 95 degree plus temperatures, air conditioning is just about essential. I turn on only the one in the room I'm in. If one goes out, it is much cheaper to replace than a central air unit.

I usually garden and can -- not this year with the drought. I eat at home, go to town a couple of times a week, etc. I drive a 20 year old car. It's perfect for taking dogs to the vet. One of them usually throws up on the way.

I have plenty of money for the way I live and don't know how I'd spend more. I've lived frugally all my life.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM

We have always observed the save some, spend some rule and made it a point to live within our means. With some investments during the high interest times we are blessed that we have no mortgage and no payments except for the regular monthly bills. Still use coupons at the grocery and weigh whether I need something or just want it before I buy. It has worked well for us, but, like I stated, we are blessed in that we have had no 'surprises'.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:00 AM

If it helps----we have lived frugally our entire marriage and that is why we were both able to retire! Not everyone spends it as fast as they make it.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM

I have been pretty good with money...I have my moments when I spend what I don't need to. Like a new tattoo, fabric that I don't need, a dog I don't need (love them though!), or something to make my life a bit easier.

Even if I had the money to burn I would still shop sales (coupons don't help me much and are not worth the effort) and try to spend as little as possible on utilities. (makes me sick to see all that money going to them)

I saw a editorial on the news that said that a typical 3 person family spends $900 on groceries a month! I guess we are not typical...there is actually 4 of us and we might spend half that. I stock up on sale items and we eat like kings on $400 a month or less depending on how much I was able to stock up on. We have also found that beef and pork are cheaper (and taste way better) at our local meat processor. I always cook from scratch so maybe that is part of the reason our grocery bill is so low. Boxed, frozen, and canned meals are very expensive and not good for you.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by KarenR
First sit down and decide as a couple what you can do without. The first thing that went for us was the cell phone, next decrease tv to the cheapest available or go without, look at all the little things that add up.

The hardest was getting the cheap toilet paper it was not very soft but it did the job.

Contact your community job service and see wht they have and then also NETWORK-- Let everyone know your looking for a job and maybe let them know that you will not be that picky.

And remember that keeping up with your neighbors is not important.

I was unemployed for over 2 years so I speak from personal experience.
I agree with this one. Also don't forget about the places in town to help those that need it. See if you can get help on your electric bill, go to the food banks and there are churches that offer clothing, coats, etc. See if you can get food stamps, because even a few help out.

Gah, I even worked for Cha Cha online answering questions. Ten cents an answer and it takes a LOT of answers to get anything much money, but hey at that point 10 bucks was ten bucks.

I also freelanced writing at Freelancer.com. It can take a bit to get any real money, but you get lucky sometimes. Watch out for the 'too good to be true' offers.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:44 AM

With difficulty.but heigh ho at least I have my health. Counting my blessings. And I have a lot to be thankful for .
Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 AM

Another idea is volunteer, you might make contacts that could lead to a job.