When Unemployed??

Old 06-08-2011, 03:58 PM

All of the suggestions are good and all are workable. However, quilters always have a source of ready cash at their fingertips. Make some simple patterned lap or baby quilts - they make up quickly and there's always a demand for them.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Over the yeas we've saved oodles. How? We have our car insurance and house insurance from the same company, and get a discount on each because of that. Plus, because we've had the same for 20 years, that's another discount
Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Power Poster

Lots of great ideas here! I got "downsized" 2 years ago, so we had to change some things. I use coupons, shop sales, go to thrift stores and yard sales, recycle as possible, cut out home phone-only cell, use lentils for protein in foods, freeze what I can, etc. I use vinegar for lots of things too. It has lots of uses!
In my garden, I make sure to buy only HEIRLOOM seeds. No hybrids! I can save the seeds and plant them the next year. I also share with others.
A good site to look at is: The Hillbilly Housewife. :)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
Originally Posted by Painiacs
Lots of great ideas!! It's so rough out there for all of us! So scary! I need new furnace, water tank and roof. Don't qualify for assistance. I don't know what were gonna do.
How do you find out about the assistance for things like AC, etc. Mine just "died" and my son is "networking" to find someone who can fix it or even buy a replacement and install it during their off hours.

The "regular" company quoted me $7,000 and I almost fainted and it wasn't from the HEAT! I only have a 1200 SF home. I'm on SSDI only and had to draw out balance of my IRA to buy meds.

I was wondering about any type of assistance...
Definitely check around for more estimates and as someone else on here said, check craigslist and building salvage companies for possible used deals. If needed, close rooms off and get window units for a few essential rooms of the house.
Good luck.

:) :)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM

There are a lot of expensive, convenience foods in the stores today. Buy meat less specially processed meats. Buy a whole chicken and cut-up yourself instead of boneless, flavored or whatever. Buy 'manager special' meats. I've never had a problem with these meat specials using and freezing as usual. They are specials because they are close to the last day of sale but the last of sale should mean they will still be fresh for 5-7 days so you can cook or freeze.
Plan meals, especially suppers, around specials. Then fill in your grocery list with basics for breakfasts/lunches. Go to the store infrequently to save gas and impluse buying. For years I had a set grocery store budget(included dry goods) and had to literally put the prices on my list and sometimes had remove items to get the essentials and not go over budget. It was like working a puzzle.

Buy big cuts of meat and get several meals from the large cut. Works out cheaper that way. If you don't want the same meat 2-3 times that week freeze the cooked meat for later use.
Bake your own baked goods/desserts. I never baked bread but made biscuits instead of store bought rolls and made simple desserts at home. You don't need dessert every night by the way.

Oh, by the way, Comsumer Cellular has very inexpensive cell phone plans. We get 300 min. a month for $22(AARP rate-$1 off). No premium times and no roaming, coverage area same as Verizon. This is fine for us as we don't each have a cell phone and use it minimally compared to others but I think just about everyone could get a plan cheaper than the big companies. No contracts also. No, I don't work for them, they are just great for us.
:)
Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mary T.
One night we had quests for dinner and I mentioned that I shopped at Aldi's and have yet to buy anything I was unhappy with. Her reply:"Aldi's-that's where the poor people shop!" I replied:"No,that's where the smart shop!"

What a very rude thing for her to say! :thumbdown:

What a great come-back you had!! Good for you!! :P :thumbup:
Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 PM

The Angel Food website is at: www.angelfoodministries.com. Food boxes are preordered and prepaid once a month and food stamps can be used. A box that will feed a family of four for a week or a single person for a month is $35 and at least 1/3 of the box is meat. Other boxes are also available. There are no income guidelines and anyone can order. One family in our church ordered four boxes a month because they were busy w/their teenagers and didn't have time to shop.
The websites: www.thriftyfun.com and www.pinkyhasabrain.com have lots of ideas for making cleaning products, lawn and garden products, etc. for much less money.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:35 AM

We completely stopped going out to eat, went to only basic cable, and made no new clothing purchases. And we stopped helping out our daughter. She's old enough to work and pay for her own things. I too do coupon shopping, but we also eat less now - it's cheaper. No more pop, chips, or granola bars - we can't afford them.

The one thing that helped us right at first was I went through the house and got rid of anything we really didn't need and sold it on ebay. I haven't missed any of those things since. I even gave up some of my least favorite fabrics.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Went through a very bad time and didn't work for 2 years after a car accident. I bought at garage sales and auctions on the weekends and sold on Craigs List and eBay through the week. Made enough money to pay all my 'shopping' expenses and pay the utilities each month. And kept my sanity. My self-made job meant I had to go out and not sit home feeling sorry for my situation. Hubby worked full time but went with me on weekends. It was what we did together since we couldn't afford any socializing or entertainment expenses. And I was cheap cheap cheap. Still am. Iuse coupons. Try not to buy anything that isn't on sale and buy used over new any time that's an option. Sorry you're struggling. Hope it gets better - that you find a way to make it better.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by selm
Originally Posted by Mary T.
One night we had quests for dinner and I mentioned that I shopped at Aldi's and have yet to buy anything I was unhappy with. Her reply:"Aldi's-that's where the poor people shop!" I replied:"No,that's where the smart shop!"

What a very rude thing for her to say! :thumbdown:

What a great come-back you had!! Good for you!! :P :thumbup:
You DID have a great comeback.

Here's another:

Aldi's is the #1 Grocery chain in Europe. It is so successful that Walmart cannot break into the market.

It's the truth.