Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • When you were a child did you ever see the REAL SANTA? >
  • When you were a child did you ever see the REAL SANTA?

• When you were a child did you ever see the REAL SANTA?

Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    Yep. In 1955, things were pretty bad at our house. My Dad had broken his back so he could no longer work in Landscaping, and had not found anything in state. Mom was expecting her 11th child. In those days, welfare was for single mothers, unemployment was too little, no food stamps were available, and there was nothing to be expected for Christmas. Dad had healed pretty well, and had taken a job out of state, expecting us to join him when he could find a house. Just about bedtime, a knock came, and there was Santa! Even in good years, Christmas was pretty sparse for us with 10 children, but here was Santa wih a HUGE bag. There was Christmas dinner, cold weather gear for each in the perfect sizes, several toys apiece. The thing I remember most was a beautiful doll just for me, and a sweet little bed, complete with a quilt, sheets and a pillow. (Maybe that's when the quilting bug bit me!. Mom was totally mystified. Each of us was given just the right present, and no one ever admitted who it was. It had to be the real Santa!
    WOW....Santa....
    Old 11-23-2010, 12:21 PM

Oh, I love your responses. I love the magic of Christmas and Santa. My husband is a minister and we have always had a place for Santa at the manager. I have felt sorry for people who grew up with out the fantasy. I think as we get older it is so important to be able to look back at a time when the magic was there. Where would this world be without the child like magic? Life gets to us, and we have to leave it behind, well most of us do. I didn't. and it does not take one single thing away from my Faith. And you know every Christmas Eve at church when we have our candle light service, and you see the sparkle in peoples eyes, that is real , my prayer for all is to have that inner peace and goodwill towards all. We are truly blessed, even if we can't afford a lot of bling, our kids understand and they are learning that we need to reach out and pass it forward because there are so many people that don't have what we have. Thank you for responding. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I don't mean to...Blessings
    Old 11-23-2010, 12:31 PM

Yes I did see the real Santa!! about 15 years ago I went to a conference for work in Chicago and we went up to the top of the Sears Tower, In the elevator was a man with a fluffy white beard and a hat that said "Santa Claus" He said he goes up there every year to check for new towers that could snag his reindeer! My mom always told us too that if you don't believe he wont come.
    Old 11-23-2010, 01:11 PM

When I was three my sister was born 2 days before Christmas. I was taken out of town to stay with my aunt and uncle for a few days including Christmas Eve and Christmas. I was distraught to say the least. Santa would not be bringing presents because he didn't know where I was. Also my Mommy wasn't around either.

Well, on Christmas eve I was sitting in the front room with my aunt and uncle when there came a tapping at the back window. I jumped up a little frightened and my uncle said
    "go see who it is". Looking out I saw Santa and he waved at me. Then he came around to the front door. He came in with a good size bag of goodies and they were all for me. My aunt and uncle had no children; but arranged with a nephew on the other side of the family to pack up all my presents from Mom and Dad and from the two of them so I would know that wherever you were "Santa" would always find you. I have always believed.
    Old 11-23-2010, 02:08 PM
    Google Goddess

thanks everyone for sharing your stories with us
    Old 11-23-2010, 02:18 PM

These stories are great! I remember waking up and going to see what Santa had brought. One year I remember my new baby doll in a cradle......like it was yesterday! Now my little girl gets to get the new little baby doll. :-)
    Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

Not Santa Claus but I definitely met Sinterklaas and his help Piet.

They came to the house in the evening December 5 th, Sinterklaas his birthday, and brought pressents.

Also on a regular basis Piet would let his pressence be known in the days before Decemeber 5 th, by throwing these hard baked cookie pieces from out of no where.

Some how my mom was always gone when he did that. Pitty because she was a big believer too and would have enjoyed being there. Hehehehehe

Boy this is bringing tears to my eyes. I miss my mama.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Sinte...=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=Vz_sTN_xOYSusAOKtZCGDw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDwQsAQwAg&biw=1007&bih=671
    Old 11-23-2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by cosyquilter
    Yep. In 1955, things were pretty bad at our house. My Dad had broken his back so he could no longer work in Landscaping, and had not found anything in state. Mom was expecting her 11th child. In those days, welfare was for single mothers, unemployment was too little, no food stamps were available, and there was nothing to be expected for Christmas. Dad had healed pretty well, and had taken a job out of state, expecting us to join him when he could find a house. Just about bedtime, a knock came, and there was Santa! Even in good years, Christmas was pretty sparse for us with 10 children, but here was Santa wih a HUGE bag. There was Christmas dinner, cold weather gear for each in the perfect sizes, several toys apiece. The thing I remember most was a beautiful doll just for me, and a sweet little bed, complete with a quilt, sheets and a pillow. (Maybe that's when the quilting bug bit me!. Mom was totally mystified. Each of us was given just the right present, and no one ever admitted who it was. It had to be the real Santa!
    This is a beautiful true story. It sure gave me the warm fuzzys.
    Old 11-23-2010, 02:37 PM

What do you mean 'when you were a child'? I saw the REAL SANTA two years ago in Lapland. I'm a believer ;)
    Old 11-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Of course, hasn't everyone?