Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Where have all the turtles gone? >
  • Where have all the turtles gone?

• Where have all the turtles gone?

Old 07-15-2010, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by amma
    We don't see near as many salamanders as when I was a kid... Can't count how many that were accidentally turned loose in the house :roll: :lol: much to Mom's dismay!!!
    Ditto! I should have included them in my original list. Loved playing with them! :)

How about garter snakes? (garter??)
    Old 07-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
    When I was a kid, a zillion years ago, there were lots of turtles, frogs, toads, pooliwogs, you name it. Where have they all gone? I know acid rain was tough on them, at one point, but I thought things had gotten better.
    Loss of habitat is another big issue for these critters. When I lived in the "rural" part of New Jersey (I bet you didn't know there was one, did you? :lol: ), I knew spring was finally here when I could hear the spring peeper frogs from the woods out back. I caught a 4-foot king snake in my yard (she would shed her skin on my brick porch steps), and I came across a few green/garter snakes that were small. (I had to relocate the king snake when I moved, because the new owners threatened to kill her if they saw her. Grr.) and my boyfriend at the time, who lived further out in the pine barrens had tons of lizards in the woods behind his house.

I sometimes see toads in my yard, and I saw a few bullfrogs in the lake at the city park, which is also home to a rather lot of snapping turtles. And I'm in an urban/semi-urban area now.
    Old 07-15-2010, 09:42 AM

I see lots of turtles out here in Oklahoma. Each spring you see hundreds of baby turtles. 3 years ago I rescued a baby turtle off the road. He shell was about the size of a quarter. He resides in a 125 gallon aquarium and is probably 6 inches across in just 3 years. He has so much personality and has made a great pet that requires very little work compared to my dogs and cats!
    Old 07-15-2010, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by quiltilicious

Loss of habitat is another big issue for these critters. When I lived in the "rural" part of New Jersey (I bet you didn't know there was one, did you? :lol: )
    Oh, but I do! I've been down to the Bordentown area several times -- looks like horse country to me. Get off the Interstate and it's a whole new world! Very pretty.
    Old 07-15-2010, 10:36 AM

My reply is across the road. In the past couple of weeks I have seen two turtles crossing the road near my house. We have a small wetlands area that runs through the edge of our field and ends with a small pool near the road. There is a log sticking out of the water and several turtles live there and sit up on the log. Sometimes they just go for a walk. However, I hear frogs all night long singing in the same area; but seldome see them.
    Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 AM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

We are not having a shortage on turtles or geese at the lake this year. I had never seen them like this. Turtles everywhere and the geese too.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-76518.jpe   attachment-76519.jpe   attachment-76520.jpe  
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by McQuilter
    My reply is across the road. In the past couple of weeks I have seen two turtles crossing the road near my house. We have a small wetlands area that runs through the edge of our field and ends with a small pool near the road. There is a log sticking out of the water and several turtles live there and sit up on the log. Sometimes they just go for a walk. However, I hear frogs all night long singing in the same area; but seldome see them.
    Good to know they're alive and well somewhere!
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    We are not having a shortage on turtles or geese at the lake this year. I had never seen them like this. Turtles everywhere and the geese too.
    Thanks for the pictures!
    Old 07-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    I see lots of turtles out here in Oklahoma. Each spring you see hundreds of baby turtles. 3 years ago I rescued a baby turtle off the road. He shell was about the size of a quarter. He resides in a 125 gallon aquarium and is probably 6 inches across in just 3 years. He has so much personality and has made a great pet that requires very little work compared to my dogs and cats!
    I used to see tons of frogs at my aunt and uncle's farm out in Oklahoma. The only thing I have here in the city is a few raccoons living under our shed and down the street, they have/had a den of foxes living by their house. (Haven't seen them in awhile... :cry: )

I have two pet turtles. They are a blast to watch. One is staring at me right now, waiting to be fed, even though there are at least a dozen fish swimming around in the tank for him to eat.
    Old 07-15-2010, 06:26 PM

My sis and I were just talking about this. She found a box turtle in their yard. I can remember as a child we always had a box turtle, they were everywhere. Now you hardly ever see them in NC anymore.

Definitely not CA. Here they have Desert Tortoise, but I have never seen one in the wild.