Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Where have all the turtles gone? >
  • Where have all the turtles gone?

• Where have all the turtles gone?

Old 07-16-2010, 05:48 AM

Thanks, everyone, for the pictures! Some good photographers out there! Makes me feel better, knowing that wildlife is still going strong in some areas. May New England was hit worse than other areas of the country by the acid rain?? Here's to recovery!
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 AM
    SC

Speaking of turtles & snakes............ I noticed this turtle making it's way across my front yard one morning last week. My dog, Willie, didn't appreciated it being in his territory but couldn't quite figure out what to do about it! The snake (about 11 ft long) seems to be living under my front porch! (hope attaching these pictures works)
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-75979.jpe   attachment-75980.jpe   attachment-107328.jpe  
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by SC
    Speaking of turtles & snakes............ I noticed this turtle making it's way across my front yard one morning last week. My dog, Willie, didn't appreciated it being in his territory but couldn't quite figure out what to do about it! The snake (about 11 ft long) seems to be living under my front porch! (hope attaching these pictures works)
    OMG, you're last picture with the dog looking at the turtle is hysterical!! It reminds me of the old advertisement where the hound is listening to one of those old turntable record players(???).

An eleven foot snake living under your porch???!!! And, I thought dealing with a skunk living under my shed was hard. I think I know why none of my ancestors lived below CT -- we don't like snakes! :-)
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:29 AM

I don't hear to many Peepers nor do I see any more Lighting bugs Here eather.We use to catch them when we were kids on a hot Summer night here in MA.
    Old 07-16-2010, 06:31 AM
    SC

Every time I look at the picture of Willie & turtle I wonder what each of them was thinking at the time. I was just glad Willie was smart enough not to get too close!
    Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 AM

I bet between your turtle and snake you don't get a lot of rodents in your home. :lol:
    Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 AM

Seems like the deep south still has a lot of great varments. Not so much in NC, especially reptiles.
    Old 07-16-2010, 08:45 AM

We've got an overpopulation boom around here. Too many protected lands have made it worse in the last 30 years. Unbalanced in either direction is not good. Creates a nice environment for non-native species though... like an all you can eat buffet.
    Old 07-19-2010, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by SC
    what a gorgeous King Snake!! It reminds me of the one that lived at my old farm house.
    Old 07-22-2010, 01:47 PM
    Power Poster

i used to go to the ponds and swamps (the water catcher things around town) and hunt pollywogs too, in New Hyde Park NY on long island.
    I remember getting little turtles in chineese takeout boxes when i was a kid, i'm 6 yrs older than my husband, and he thinks i'm nuts