Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Who does sewing other than quilting? >
  • Who does sewing other than quilting?

• Who does sewing other than quilting?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:15 PM

I've been sewing since I was a teenager. I've sewn about everything through the years. I now do alterations. It helps finance my quilting supplies.
    Old 10-29-2011, 04:51 PM

I have an embroidery business, made new upholstered sofas in our RV, as well as lined drapes, and over the years I have made prom dresses, wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses and many of our daughters clothes since she was 6' tall.
    Old 10-29-2011, 05:08 PM

I've been quilting since 1992 and only recently (last year) started to sew clothing and other stuff. Before that, it was curtains and repairs and that was it. What also helped was being given (for free) an older serger. Totally love it.

What is inspiring me to sew clothing was this nightie (link below). I bought it some years ago, totally adored it, but wanted jammies in the same style. So, made a pair last year copying the top of the nightie. Making another pair this year. I can make another nightie as well for about $16 (vs. the $55 plus shipping at this company). I am also tired of shirts that are too short, so making several tunic length shirts next week for winter wear.

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...ightgown/39934;jsessionid=523F4DD76BEC117AA0013B6029923117.vcs-app-02-p-app2
    Old 10-29-2011, 05:10 PM

I do a lot of hand stitching, love cross stitch (does that count??) and I've made rag dolls
    Old 10-29-2011, 05:18 PM

I used to sew clothing for my family. I am also a former bridal seamstress. I worked as head seamstress for 5 years when burn out it. Alterations are sometimes difficult to do. I made my first quilt when I was 21 years old for my DD. I quilted off and on for several more years and when "burn out" hit at the bridal shop, I made another quilt and have been quilting since.
    Old 10-29-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sewbeadit
    I have been wondering if most people that quilt also do other types of sewing as well? I do a lot of different types of sewing as well as quilting and enjoy it all.
    I did all clothing construction, including wedding gowns, tailoring & jeans but lost all interest in it since I started quilting.
    Old 10-29-2011, 10:03 PM

When I was in hs my grandmother tried to get me to take home ec and learn how to sew my own clothes. "No way. I work in the mall and get a 30% discount. Why would I want to sew?" I went to college and majored in Fashion Merchandising and learned how to sew. Loved it! I have sewn prom dresses, little girls clothes, matching jammies, curtains, seat covers, tons of Halloween costumes. I even went into the "hospital curtain making" business for a very short time. Just sewed a costume last night.

And I am a beginner Quilter. :)
    Old 10-29-2011, 10:08 PM

I just finished 8 fitted crib sheets for my new granddaughter. She arrived earlier than expected, this past Monday. Unfortunately, my sewing may be limited as I am unable to get to my sewing room due to a double fractured broken ankle. I was trying to take her pups out after leaving the hospital. Stepped off her deck hit a ditch and fell. So my sewing from here on will be whatever I can locate without going to my sewing room. I may get something finished for a change.
    Old 10-30-2011, 12:53 AM

If it can be done on a sewing machine, I probably do it or have at least tried it...garment sewing, home dec, free motion embroidery, alterations, repairs, gift items, etc in addition to piecing and free motion quilting. I can't imagine how I'd run the house without my sewing machine!
    Old 10-30-2011, 03:01 AM

I have made a few fabric dolls. Thinking about having a go at making softies for presents.