Who knew?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:28 PM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I use canning jars to store the leftover humming bird food.. stick in the fridge to cool down faster..

I did the same thing with our HONEY bear bottle when it was a lil crystallized... Nuked it and poor bear was a mess !!!
Old 01-31-2014, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by gale
Birds eat bugs and drink out of puddles and dirty birdbaths. I can't imagine that non boiled bottled water would hurt them.
This has always been my thought, also.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:57 PM

I make my own humminbbird feeder "juice" and found through researching it that it is not necessary to boil the water. I agree with Gale about what the birds eat in nature.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:27 PM

Sugars incorporate into warm/hot water better when making hummingbird nectar. The boiling was to kill bacteria and molds that love sugars, as well as to liquify the sugars. I love the hummingbirds-they have such personalities and fearless attitudes. I've been seriously lectured and literally smacked when I'm in their way!
I don't microwave in plastics at all. There are many concerns about the chemicals leeching into food so I stick with glass or ceramics. Ditto for the teflon nonstick pan coatings which are to be replaced by 2015. Teflon is in MW popcorn bags, and I recently read it is also a common coating on fast food paper wrappings! I'm not an alarmist. I have degrees in Bio and Nursing, and worked in infertility.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:41 PM

Yeah, I''m getting away from storing and microwaving in plastic, too. I bought some glass dishes with lids for leftovers and have some Corning Ware with lids that I inherited. That's better stuff, anyway!! Wish I had claimed more of the vintage Corning Ware when I had the chance.

Last edited by CindyA; 01-31-2014 at 11:41 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-2014, 03:08 AM
Administrator

i run plain water through a spare coffee maker to prepare the hummer food.
it's hot enough to dissolve the sugar, not so hot i have to worry about burning myself during the process, and it's easier to pour into the feeders and storage containers.

once they start coming around, the nectar doesn't last long enough to cause worry over nasty developments after it's exposed to the elements.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:03 AM

Just remember that mold grows easily in the feeding containers during the hot weather. Mold in the feeder can cause the hummers tongues (which are tube like) to swell and then they can no longer eat. No food..no bird. Just be sure not to let any mold grow. They sure are fun to watch. Kitsie, I like the names for your wee Hummers!
Old 02-01-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

My DH mixes the nectar with hot to dissolve (like Jello) 1/2 the recipe, then adds cold after it has dissolved. He uses a large mixing/measuring cup. Never put anything hot into plastic.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:55 AM

I love this board!!!!!!! I learn so much about so many things. Thanks to all.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:30 PM

So interesting - wish we had more hummingbirds around here.

Hmm, maybe if I fed them?!?!