Who likes to garden

Old 04-09-2011, 05:33 AM

A square foot garden is a system of laying out raised beds in squares. So many seeds per square foot. There is a bunch of stuff about soil preperation too. The system started out as a book and then a TV series on DIY.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:43 AM

I learned gardening from my dad. He was a very avid gardner and put in a huge garden every year until he was 93! I just have a small garden as I am the only big vegie eater in the family, but you can't beat the taste of fresh :thumbup:
Old 04-09-2011, 05:44 AM

We have an acre out in the high desert. I go by the Darwin theory of gardening--if it dies it didn't deserve to live anyway. This year the people at work have talked up their vegetabe gardens so much I am going to try again after not much luck in the past. Years ago I used to find people with excess fruit on their trees and can that. Very cheap and saves them some cleaning dropped fruit. Last week was so nice I was outside digging and doing cleanup for days. This week we are back to snow and quilting again.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:46 AM

Oh my, I would rather be outside working in the veggy & flower gardens than inside the house. my house shows it too. At one time my son and I had a huge garden but now I have down-sized. I started with 2 raised beds 4x6 feet. Then I added 2 more 4x12. This year I am adding another 4x12 ft. & putting my asparagus in there. I have always had good luck with Burpee's. Years ago when I lived in ND I had stalks that I could pick the first year.
Here in PA I have always rotated my plants. I have planted and froze peas, beans, lima & green, Swiss Chard, Kale, spinich, beets. I bought 1 bell pepper plant last year. I provided us with all the salad we wanted and at the end of the season i had 24 mature peppers to make stuffed peppers that I froze for the winter meals. That was off 1 pepper plant. I plant several kinds of tomatoes which i start from seed. We always have enough for our own use and give to family and friends. I use 1 raised bed for them. We jar juice and a variety of sauces with the tomatoes. My winter onions are up and so is the garlic. Haven't put anything in the garden yet because of the weather here. I just love being outside.
Old 04-09-2011, 05:51 AM

Carrots, lettuce, and radish are in--were planning to do peas etc today, but its raining, so will be next weekend for those. Will be getting tomato plants soon. Cukes beans etc will be another couple weeks before ground is warm enough. Love the fresh veggies. Can, freeze or dehydrate the veggies we don't eat right out of the garden.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:07 AM

MY husband has always raised a very large garden until his health would not allow it. We gave most of the stuff away but I did can and freeze alot. My granddaughter wants a large garden this year, hope she does. When we had extra we couldn't get anyone to come and get it we had to take it to them. We still have lots of aspasagus and not one wants it.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:34 AM

I used to do lots of this and enjoyed all aspects from planting to canning and I think that is a great part of my better health in my aging years. I can't garden anymore but still do a lot of farm market purchases to keep things as organic as I can. Stick with it for better health!
Old 04-09-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Blackberry
Originally Posted by Jshep
With high prices of vegetables, have you noticed how many more people are turning to gardening? I have a friend who is helping me put in a big garden this year. I have became very health conscience and this will not only give me lots of fresh vegetables, I will also get exercise which I desparately need. I really get a thrill out of watching things grow. Last year I started learning about canning and freezing.
I used to garden all the time but this last year we have been having quite a few deer and they just loved my garden. So, this year I decided that I am not going to feed them so no gardening this year for me, vegetable or flower because they seem to nibble on both
Grow marigolds. Deer kept eating my beautiful hot pink impatiens and hostas (and somehow managed to grow back each time). My gardening supervisor told me they hate marigolds so I put a couple marigold plants in there and it seemed to deter them. There's also this deer spray you can put on your plants and it works, but you have to reapply it if it rains and it smells like rotten eggs. Don't let those deer keep you from having a garden!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:08 AM

I live for Spring to arrive. I have 250' of garden on each side of my yard, 1/2 of one side devoted to food. It is a wonderful hobby. This year my goal is to grow red onions at least 3" wide like the farmer we get them from because mine haven't grown in the last few years more than an inch all summer. He has some secret and I want it!!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jshep
With high prices of vegetables, have you noticed how many more people are turning to gardening? I have a friend who is helping me put in a big garden this year. I have became very health conscience and this will not only give me lots of fresh vegetables, I will also get exercise which I desparately need. I really get a thrill out of watching things grow. Last year I started learning about canning and freezing.
I've tried gardening several times, but generally lose interest before the "harvest". I've decided my role is to support the local farmers! :)