Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Who sews things besides quilts? >
  • Who sews things besides quilts?

• Who sews things besides quilts?

Old 06-06-2011, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by peggy463
    wow, it is hard to find ridding outfit patterns, I know because I searched for a very long time and only found a few for my granddaughter
    Peggy, if you still are looking for riding clothes patterns, just type in "Jean Hardy Patterns" and go to this site. She used to have all types of riding clothes patterns. Have not checked it out recently but it is a good place to start.
    Old 06-06-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by miriam
    Originally Posted by cabinfever
    I'm curious what type of grommet you must put in for the tent top corners? Do you Double or Triple the seam reinforcement for the corners?
    I use a Consew walking foot sewing machine to sew. I use professional grade grommets put in with a professional grade grommet setter. I got them from Miami Rubber in Cincinnati, OH. The reinforcement on the corners is 3 or 4 layers. If you get fabric too thick the grommets won't stick. Seams are sewn then sewn over unless they have raw edges - then flat felled. The tent in the picture has been through 80 mph winds in Florida a couple times. It amazes me how strong fabric really is. I've done quite a few different tents. I usually start with the doors on a wedge or wall tent. Once I make the doors I do the walls. If it is a marquee tent I do the top first. I always start with the angled parts. Easier for me I guess. The tent in the pic is 5 or 6 years old now. I made a pattern out of 3X5 cards then built the tent. There is always something to do different for the next one.

I think there is a thread on here about jeans and what to do with them. I found some really cool stuff.
    Thanks for all the info. on both the tents & jeans. My machine probably wouldn't be good on 4 layers of canvas...yet maybe my Singer 401 could handle it.
    Old 06-06-2011, 02:18 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by miriam
    I'm curious what type of grommet you must put in for the tent top corners? Do you Double or Triple the seam reinforcement for the corners?
    I use a Consew walking foot sewing machine to sew. I use professional grade grommets put in with a professional grade grommet setter. I got them from Miami Rubber in Cincinnati, OH. The reinforcement on the corners is 3 or 4 layers. If you get fabric too thick the grommets won't stick. Seams are sewn then sewn over unless they have raw edges - then flat felled. The tent in the picture has been through 80 mph winds in Florida a couple times. It amazes me how strong fabric really is. I've done quite a few different tents. I usually start with the doors on a wedge or wall tent. Once I make the doors I do the walls. If it is a marquee tent I do the top first. I always start with the angled parts. Easier for me I guess. The tent in the pic is 5 or 6 years old now. I made a pattern out of 3X5 cards then built the tent. There is always something to do different for the next one.

I think there is a thread on here about jeans and what to do with them. I found some really cool stuff.
    Thanks for all the info. on both the tents & jeans. My machine probably wouldn't be good on 4 layers of canvas...yet maybe my Singer 401 could handle it.
    A 401 is a tough machine and with out a doubt can do the layers. It won't make long enough stitches though. I have a Singer 401 and a 403 and love them too much to sew anything that heavy - I don't mean the fabric itself. I have bent the needle shaft before on a commercial Pfaff sewing machine - too much weight pulling through. Even though I prefer to sew small tents the walking foot is the only way to go. You can sometimes get one on CL - they are in a commercial table and tricky to learn to use but wow - they are awesome! I use it for jeans stuff too. I use the 403 to piece and decorate the pieces I insert into the jeans skirts. If it isn't too heavy I can sew the pieces in on the 403 but a lot of times I just use the Consew. It sews through a lot of layers - not much stops it.
    Old 06-06-2011, 10:56 AM
    Power Poster

anything i can sthink of from quilts, cloths, toys, to collars and bandanas for my kitty.
    Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM

I started out making clothes and toys for the kids and me, and decor stuff. Still do crafty and decor stuff. These days "clothes" is limited to long, frilly, over-the-top nightgowns for my diva daughters, and period clothing for my friends who still have time to do re-enacting and faires. (Of course they have time - they don't make their own costumes/regalia!!)
    Old 06-06-2011, 12:59 PM

I make totes, purses, and 100 pillowcases for the million pillowcase challenge, I do make pillow case dresses for my gbaby, I use to make all my clothes and all my daugther but not any more I just want to make quilts, of which I have enough to last me until I'm 230....
    ps I give a lot away
    Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM

I made all my daughters clothes when they were small. Still make my pants and pillows or wharever for the house and kitchen. I mainly make puff quilts and rag quilts because they seem easier.
    Old 06-06-2011, 03:58 PM
    Power Poster

I don't have little ones in cloth diapers any more but the ones you make are too cute. Go green!

Originally Posted by Elizabeth in Texas
    This past year I have made a lot of cloth diapers for my 15 month old grandson, wetbags to put them in, wool diaper covers and leather shoes for his wide little feet.

Cloth diapers aren't like they were when my kids were little. The ones that I made are lined with minkee, microfleece or suedecloth. Some have very cute "waterproof" fabrics on the outside that will keep the wetness in. They are fitted & sized. I used a type of velcro to close them when I made the first ones, but then graduated to snaps. They also have elastic at the waist & legs.
    Old 06-07-2011, 08:58 AM

Can't afford the nerve medicine! Quilts and crafts for me. Only!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-27-2018 at 03:09 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
    Old 06-07-2011, 08:48 PM

In the past use to outfit myself and my 4 girls.Mostly do craft and gift item sewing. right now into making pillow case, casserole carriers and pot holders. About to get back to making pillow case dresses for the missions my Prayer Shawl Mission is involved in. I do love to sew for my 8 year old granddaughter and my 5year old and 19 month old greatgranddaughters.