Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Why pin  apron bib to dress? >
  • Why pin apron bib to dress?

• Why pin apron bib to dress?

Old 09-15-2014, 01:21 PM

Default Why pin apron bib to dress?

Big discussion going with friend...why did ladies pin their apron bibs to their dress instead of having a neck strap or ties? I argue that maybe it was quicker to nurse the baby, ...don't really know, but remember when I was growing up (back in the dark ages), it seemed that all the housewives wore bibbed aprons and they had a big safety pin at each corner. Any enlightenment appreciated.
    Old 09-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Because they didn't like the strap around their neck. It was uncomfortable. That was what my mom always said.
    Old 09-15-2014, 02:56 PM

I didn't know they did that, my grandma wore the kind that were more like a smock, and tied on each side. I'm sure the pins were for comfort, I know how the neck strap bothers me when I wear one.
    Old 09-16-2014, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by mermaid
    Big discussion going with friend...why did ladies pin their apron bibs to their dress instead of having a neck strap or ties? I argue that maybe it was quicker to nurse the baby, ...don't really know, but remember when I was growing up (back in the dark ages), it seemed that all the housewives wore bibbed aprons and they had a big safety pin at each corner. Any enlightenment appreciated.
    I had forgotten that! I never thought to ask, or even wonder why they pinned the bibs.
    Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 AM
    dd

In Girl Scouts, I was a leader, we learned that it was easier to let that bib down to be presentable than to take the apron off. The bib would fall over the dirtiest part of the skirt of the apron then the woman would be much neater. If there were a neck strap that would be dangling and could catch on things. Don't know if that's the reason but that's what we were told. This was Civil War era we were learning about and they used straight pins not safety pins. My grandmother always wore one that crossed over in the back.
    Old 09-16-2014, 04:25 AM
    Power Poster

My Mom only wore the aprons that tied around the waist. She couldn't stand anything to touch her neck. Made her deel like she was being choked. She also had to have big pockets on them, to carry things in.
    Old 09-16-2014, 06:51 AM

My Grandma.s both wore aprons that had necklines like dresses, but just had one button to hold them.
    Old 09-16-2014, 07:43 AM

I saw in an old catalog a blouse with buttons on each shoulder / breast front, said was a work day blouse - easy and quick removal of your apron, so you are always presentable, the same page had maids uniform dresses with the buttons and several button bib and waist tie aprons to choose from. I think it was Wards. I bet they fit better this way, my neck tie aprons pooch out and twist off center. I would forget to unpin and end up ripping my blouse!
    Old 09-16-2014, 02:56 PM
    Power Poster

Great info. I personally hate things pulling on the back of my neck. Grandma wore aprons that resembled a pinafore top...I think I am calling it correctly... Over the shoulder and tie in back
    Old 09-17-2014, 05:12 AM

As I remember my Grandmother, she was "very well endowed" and I am sure that weight would not have been good with a neck strap.