Wild Animals Loose in Ohio

Old 10-20-2011, 12:58 PM

We had passed thru that area on Sunday. Pretty scary stuff but am glad they got them all, just sad that they had to kill them.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by bakermom
Originally Posted by valsma
It breaks my heart that yet again animals had to suffer and lose because of the selfish behavior of a human. I don't like it but I understand and agree that the sheriff deputies had to do what they had to do. Even Jack Hannah understood and agreed with the distruction of the animals as being necessary.
I heard on the news Ohio is the worst offender in the laws preventing private citizens from owning exotic animals of this kind. That they had some laws and the new govenor vetoed them somehow. I bet he is singing a different tune now. These are animals, who should never be held in captivity by people who think they know what they are doing. Hasn't it been proven by now that even the so called experts have fallen victim to the dangers of a wild animal held in captivity and those in the wild to for that matter.

I hope they got them all rounded up and everyone will soon be able to get back to normal.
Former Gov. had a signed temporary law concering exotics. current gov. did not extend it because it was considered un-inforceable. Now i don't know if thats true,but agree this state needs to crack down on it. there is an auction held here twice a year where you can buy all kinds of animals.

That's where my "friends" acquired their fox, wolves and bear as well as some badgers. but it's "OK" because they have studied up on how to care for them-NOT!
yes, their attitude angers me.
Thanks for explaining that, you know how the news media can be, they leave things out. Anyways it still angers me that this was able to happen. Gratefully nobody was hurt. I heard that the police were on their way to check on the man, does anyone know how they knew something was wrong at the place?

I hope your "friends" do not ever end up paying for thier stupidity in owning the types of animals that they own. A friend of ours wanted a badger to raise and keep, but the laws in Oregon are written so that luckily it is almost prohibitive for a regular person to own wildlife. I was quite grateful when his wife told me it would entail to much for him to aquire one. Stupidest idea the man ever had.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM

I heard on the news this morning that Ohio allows citizens to keep any type of wild animals, no restrictions. I think this is so irresponsible. Wild animals belong in the zoo or in the wild ...only.

On the news also, Jack Hanna said that there are only 1500 tigers left in the wild. He also said that there are more tigers in captivity then anywhere else.

It break my heart that all those beautiful animals had to be put down, but they did what they had to do to protect everyone.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:56 PM

A neighbor saw a tiger loose,stalking 3-4 horses on next farm.He got in barn, called his Mom & told her to call 911. It went on from there.

" I heard that the police were on their way to check on the man, does anyone know how they knew something was wrong at the place? "
Old 10-20-2011, 05:55 PM

I am not going to second guess what the first responders should or shouldn't have done regarding shoot or tranquilize. I just feel bad for them. I can't imagine that any of the officers felt too great about having to shoot those animals even if they are folks who hunt. What a shame, a waist and a tragic situation.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:20 PM

i bet that was scary i heard that on the news this morning i think they should come down on the law of wild animals in the states unless they are in zoos i love animals but i sure feel sorry for them when theput them cages when they should be let run wild in the own place i hope the got them all and you are all safe i just had to put my max down couldn't walk any more so sad
maggied
Old 10-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
I am not going to second guess what the first responders should or shouldn't have done regarding shoot or tranquilize. I just feel bad for them. I can't imagine that any of the officers felt too great about having to shoot those animals even if they are folks who hunt. What a shame, a waist and a tragic situation.
Heard a snippet of an interview with Jack Hannah. He said one of the cats they had actually shot with a traquilizer dart, the dart was ineffective and the cat took off. They ended up having to shoot it.
The sherriff was saying the wife of the man is just devastated by the death of the husband, animals being put down and the whole situation. She also tried to convince them not to take the ones that were left away, they are like her baby's. She is going to be allowed to visit them anytime she wishes at the Columbus zoo. This is just a sensless tradgedy that could have been prevented if there had been laws in place.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:28 PM

so sad all the tigers and bears got killed there are not much of them left in the wild but I understand the safety of the people who live around
Old 10-20-2011, 08:30 PM

there is about 3000 tigers in the wild but there are about 300 here in texas in private hands.There should be tougher laws.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM

It wasn't animal abuce it was for guns not registered, that he had been jailed for.