William and Cate

Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
The Queen and Camilla dont get along, she didnt go to their wedding because the church frowning on divorce...I dont think Camilla ever looks happy and smiles.
I feel sorry for William and Harry having to face her knowing the relationship with her and their father when he was married to their Mother Diana.
I am glad the wedding wasnt over the top and they made it as simple as they could still being royals.
I loved her gown and thought it didnt over power her.
William and Harry both have a very good relationship with Camilla and she is now accepted by all the royal family.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
This MAY be a stupid question, but what is everyone's last name?? Like William.............what? Harry.............what? Charles...............what?, etc, etc. Do they give up their last name when they become Royals??
William and Harry use the last name Wales. Royalty probably doesn't need last names though.
Their official last name is Mountbatten-Windsor but they both use Wales as it is from their father's title as Prince of Wales.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:08 PM

I guess I have to put my two cents' worth in. I have a couple small negatives which I know puts me in the minority, but they are only my personal opinions which, in the grand scheme, matter not a whit.

When I first saw Kate's gown, I was a little disappointed. All of the preceding publicity and the hype about the big "mystery" had me really prepared for something absolutely spectacular, so when I realized how plain it was, I was underwhelmed. I thought it was not anything that one couldn't see on any bride and was just so-so. No one described any beading or embroidery or any detail so I assume there was none, and it was indeed very plain. However, the longer I watched, the more it grew on me. I
began to realize that, even though it was plain, it was also very elegant and classy and was obviously just perfect for her, and I ended up loving it. If you watch any of the bridal dress shows on TV, the gowns are all strapless, many are quite daring and not my idea of what I assume a sweet, virginal, demure bride should wear in church. Kate's gown was indeed perfect.

Although I love the fact that Kate's bouquet contained some of the same flowers that were in Diana's bouquet, I thought it was way too small and out of proportion for her, for the gown and for the occasion.

I did not like her hair style or the veil. I thought both could have been much more flattering to her. The tiara loaned to her by the Queen was so tiny (and I don't know if there was any significance to that) that you could hardly see it. I couldn't even see any sparkle. I know that the tiara is very special to the Queen and I think that Kate's hair and veil could have been arranged so that they highlighted the tiara. Her hair could have still been worn long at the sides and back.

I did not like the music.

I would have loved to see a kiss to "seal the deal" at the altar. Is this a no-no in royal circles?

Other than that, the wedding was wonderful and I loved watching it.

I do have another question, though. How will Kate wear her wedding band and the engagement ring at the same time? I don't think they will both fit on her ring finger and I don't think they will look right together. What will she do? Does she have to choose which ring she will wear when?
Old 04-30-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
Beautiful dress, not overly done.
could not stand the music, hurts my ears, muted at times.
According to their law, they are not allowed to kiss inside the church, guess that's why it done on the balcony. I think Prince Harry is a little devilish. He always has that mischievous look in his eyes.
I was married in an Anglican church and we kissed. It is a matter of preference, not against the law.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by quilter on the eastern edge
Originally Posted by ThreadHead
Beautiful dress, not overly done.
could not stand the music, hurts my ears, muted at times.
According to their law, they are not allowed to kiss inside the church, guess that's why it done on the balcony. I think Prince Harry is a little devilish. He always has that mischievous look in his eyes.
I was married in an Anglican church and we kissed. It is a matter of preference, not against the law.
I read somewhere that the kiss after the ceremony is not allowed in the church as it is seen as improper in a holy place. Perhaps this is just because it was Westminster Abbey, but it would have been nice.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
If I remember right men stopped wearing hats when JFK didn't wear them. I think women stopped wearing them when we quit using so much hairspray, and went with the natural look. LOL. I thought the whole "doings" was beautiful, and everyone behaved theirselves. No, mob scenes. Just great.
Hats went out in the early to mid 1960's when bouffant hairstyles came in. Remember us "ratting or teasing" our hair? No way would a hat sit on top of some of those beehives we use to wear!
Old 04-30-2011, 02:58 PM

a word about Kate's little bouquet, it was so sweet, so understated. It was Lily of the Valley and Periwinkle (also called Myrtle). They are essentially wildflowers that have been a bit tamed... that's what I have around my house.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by yonnikka
a word about Kate's little bouquet, it was so sweet, so understated. It was Lily of the Valley and Periwinkle (also called Myrtle). They are essentially wildflowers that have been a bit tamed... that's what I have around my house.
I thought the bouquet was perfectly in proportion to her body and the simple cut of her dress. A large bouquet would have overwhelmed her. I loved the simplicity of the green and with the white flowers -- and the trees in the Abbey were a lovely touch. Apparently they will be planted at Highgrove, Prince Charles' estate.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:03 PM

The Myrtle, BTW, is from a plant that grows in one of the palace gardens. It was planted from a sprig taken from Queen Victoria's bridal bouquet. I thought the bouquet was lovely, but I would have liked to have seen it a bit bigger than it was. Aren't we funny - all of us "Monday morning quarterbacks" critiquing what happened days ago! LOL...
Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Just a word about lily of the vally if she had had a very large bouquet of it her arms would be falling off by the end of the serimony it can get pretty heavy in large quantitys and at least in canada it is very expensive to by from a florist shop. hope this puts her bouquet in perspective a bit.her small bouquet probly cost more than a large cascade bouquet of roses would have.
Originally Posted by Raphael48
The Myrtle, BTW, is from a plant that grows in one of the palace gardens. It was planted from a sprig taken from Queen Victoria's bridal bouquet. I thought the bouquet was lovely, but I would have liked to have seen it a bit bigger than it was. Aren't we funny - all of us "Monday morning quarterbacks" critiquing what happened days ago! LOL...