William and Cate

Old 04-30-2011, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by sandilee
Originally Posted by grannie cheechee
If I remember right men stopped wearing hats when JFK didn't wear them. I think women stopped wearing them when we quit using so much hairspray, and went with the natural look. LOL. I thought the whole "doings" was beautiful, and everyone behaved theirselves. No, mob scenes. Just great.
Hats went out in the early to mid 1960's when bouffant hairstyles came in. Remember us "ratting or teasing" our hair? No way would a hat sit on top of some of those beehives we use to wear!
lololol....I was married in 1957 and when leaving on our honeymoon, I wore dress, heels, gloves and a hat when flying off into the wild blue.........

today, it's t-shirts, cut-offs and sneaks.....

times do change, don't they???
..............and who are we to say which is right !!!!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 PM

Cate is so wholesome looking - and it is surprising that there was no static from the Queen that they lived as man and wife for 9 years! Now I am anxious for little ones!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:11 PM

I am fascinated by the fascinators (hats) the women wore.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:14 PM

It was beautiful to watch and I recorded it so I can watch again sometime. Cate's dress and her sister's dress were just perfect on the two of them. I think my favorite spot was when Cate and William were in the carriage after and she was said to have made this statement. "I am so happy," I just thought that was a most sincere remark between the bride and groom. In all of her photos she was smiling. I don't think I have ever seen any smiles on past brides or grooms from the British royalty. She is real role model in my book!
Old 04-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Cate is just what William needs, talk about loving patience. The Brits love their Monarchy, even in Australia they are proud . Did you see how attractively the women were dressed, America has relaxed her standards alot in the fashion department. Remember the 40's how beautiful the women looked. hair done- make-up almost glamorous. Women would not even leave the house unless they were "put together". My Mom was one of 7 girls and everyone of them looked like the movie stars of their day.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:06 PM

I subscribe to a lot of quilting sites and I don't remember if it was from the Amer Quilt Soc or another one, but they talked about all the lace on her dress and veil being hand cut and hand appliqued onto the dress and veil and about the hand beading. It was done by teachers and former and present students at the Royal School of Embroidery. (I hope I got the title right) It took hours of work, they said. But, the message sent had some close ups of the lace and it was beautiful. Evidently the lace appliques were of roses and daffodils and other flowers. That is hard to see on TV.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:16 PM
BMP

Originally Posted by mountain deb
Are they a 'new' trend or have they been around and we just havent noticed until now?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by VernaL
I subscribe to a lot of quilting sites and I don't remember if it was from the Amer Quilt Soc or another one, but they talked about all the lace on her dress and veil being hand cut and hand appliqued onto the dress and veil and about the hand beading. It was done by teachers and former and present students at the Royal School of Embroidery. (I hope I got the title right) It took hours of work, they said. But, the message sent had some close ups of the lace and it was beautiful. Evidently the lace appliques were of roses and daffodils and other flowers. That is hard to see on TV.
I heard on BBC that the lace itself was handmade by the Royal School. Can't imagine how long it must have taken to make all that lace, attach it and re-embroider it with beading onto the dress and veil. It really was a beautiful dress and suited her so well. The veil looked a bit heavy to me - I would have preferred it if it was gathered a bit behind the tiara to make it more airy looking. There are a lot of comparisons being made to Diana's dress and veil, which were a lot more ornate. But she was marrying the Prince of Wales and next in line to the throne, thus it was an occasion of state and much more formal. I felt so sorry for Diana on her wedding day. I, too, was married at 19 and knew absolutely nothing about marriage. Poor Diana looked so scared and out of her element. Then I remember that she was chosen by the Queen and not because Charles loved her, but because he needed an heir. It was all so sad and tragic. I don't know how Charles and Camilla sleep at night or look at themselves in the mirror.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by BMP
Originally Posted by mountain deb
Are they a 'new' trend or have they been around and we just havent noticed until now?
They've been around for years, mostly seen on brides at informal or "destination" weddings. You can see a lot of them on eBay or Etsy.com.
Old 04-30-2011, 05:53 PM

I remember YEARS ago when I had gone to the millenary(HAT STORE) with my mother and we tried on so many hats. I couldn't wait to grow up so I could buy them ----- darn, too late! For every day, do the British dress as bad as WE do here (jeans and t-shirts???) I LOVED the sundresses back in the late 50's early 60's; unfortunately those are all gone too...sigh.....