Windows 10 vs Windows 7

Old 07-24-2016, 01:00 PM

Windows 7 here also. And like the other poster who said - keeping it until it or I die or 2020 whichever comes first! I'll probably keep it well after it's no longer supported provided I have no issues. I have W 10 at work. It's ok but it still just annoys me. I also hate that you can't just plain old buy software anymore. It's all subscription based now which just really gets my panties in a bunch. Hate being ripped off. But that's just a whole 'nother rant!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:19 PM

Thank you all that replied. I think my computer guy was correct in putting me back into Windows 7. It works for me and I am thinking I will either be dead or have a laptop by 2020 so I'm happy!
Old 07-24-2016, 01:20 PM

I prefer Windows 7 and when I bought my last computer I purposefully found one with Windows 7. My computer kept trying to upgrade to 10 and then I would get a message to install it, which I did not want to do. I finally talked to tech support at Costco and they fixed it so the computer would no longer try to upgrade to 10. I always buy anything technical like computers, tablets, etc at Costco because you then get free tech support 24/7 for the life of the product.... and they are located in Florida and speak perfect English.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:32 PM

Windows 10 was installed automatically on my W8 computer. I spent hours trying to find my email. Fortunately, it was easier to remove.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:24 AM

All of the computers in our house have Windows 7. We just bought 3 refurbished laptops and had the option of "upgrading" to Windows 10. We're all dreading the end of support for 7 in 2010. I prefer using my own hard drive to store my personal info. I don't like the cloud. Everybody in computerland wants their hand up your skirt and in your pocketbook. Whatever happened to privacy? We've all given away our private information, our photos, and everything we do is being tracked online. Most of our laptops and devices can take our photos and fingerprint us and know where we are or what we're doing at any given moment. Voice recognition is being incorporated into our tv remotes, etc., allowing the ability for anyone to hear what's happening in our homes. I read recently that passwords are going to be eliminated soon because technology has been developed that allows the computer to recognize you through your keystroke patterns and so on. The cloud, Facebook, Google, even Microsoft Office are all part of a bigger picture that eliminates our privacy. Unless you live off the grid, I don't know how you remain linked into society without being part of the collective. If I want to be online, I know it's inevitable that I'll eventually have to end up with Windows 10, or switch to Apple or Linux. XP and Windows 7 are about as perfect as an operating system gets, in my humble opinion. The bugs have mostly been worked out and I also have a collection of older software that I won't be able to use without them. Even if they work out the kinks of Windows 10, I don't think I'll ever be happy to switch. But it's either that or be without a computer, and I do love my computer...
Old 07-25-2016, 05:19 AM

I didn't want to upgrade to Windows 10, but my computer crashed & the new (used) one came with it. I can't share my pictures now as they're too big & I can't figure out how to resize them. My computer used to be a fun activity, but no more!!! Last night I was ready to chuck it! I will have to buy software so I can share again. Maybe in a few months.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:15 AM

I had trouble with the upgrade. My drivers were out of date and they wanted 39.00 for a repair. I'm Leary of that
Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 AM

Tried to use 10 and it kept freezing up my computer. Went back to 8. Still have a few problems since the try.
Old 07-25-2016, 07:34 AM

I too have 10 on my computers. The only drawback that I don't like, I can't write click on anything to "print" it; like on pdf files. The computer will "Save" it, then I have to putz around trying to figure out HOW to print it. It works - eventually, but otherwise I think I can live with it (so far).
Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 AM

Our computer was hi-jacked one morning by 10. They changed the X to close out the free download box to a "Yes, I want the download". Yeah, I tried to close out the box and ended up saying yes. Took over 4 hours to download. Didn't take long to figure it all out, and I don't think we lost anything. But when I turn on the computer, it wants to go to Chrome. I don't want Chrome, we use Mozilla. I hate that "they", whoever they are, are always trying to tell me what I want.