Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat >
  • Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

• Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM

I have to agree that everyone is at fault. The cat equally should be tied up at the very least. I agree that the dogs should be leashed no matter where they are. It doesn't hurt to ask if they are willing to help and I also think that a judge would rule to split the bill because Tom wasn't leashed either.
    Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM

I have to agree with what has been said,my cats are never ever outside,in fact I don't think the HUmane society or other like places will let you adopt a cat anymore if infact they will not be totally indoor cats,I even had mine declawed just to save my furniture.they are just as happy.
    Old 03-11-2010, 08:31 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

This may be a stupid question but... in regards to a leash law, are you allowed to let your pet roam unleashed, as long as the pet is on your own property? I'm thinking of all those "invisible fences"... in my area, at least, they are fairly common and I do see dogs running freely in those yards.
    Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
    This may be a stupid question but... in regards to a leash law, are you allowed to let your pet roam unleashed, as long as the pet is on your own property? I'm thinking of all those "invisible fences"... in my area, at least, they are fairly common and I do see dogs running freely in those yards.
    if they have those invisble fences,they are probably okay because the dogs cannot leave they property,if they try they get a nasty jolt of electricity.I have a friend who has it for his dogs,but every county is different, so you would have to check the laws in your county, call the county courthouse and ask how the laws are applied,here in the city of Tucson,your dog has to be on a leash at all times if outside the house,the only exception is when in a dog park,even in his own front yard,believeme I found out the hard way
    Old 03-11-2010, 09:16 AM
    Power Poster

The police should have been called. The dog owners would have gotten a ticket for leash law violation. Most homeowner insurance covers pets that cause damage or injury to others, call your mom's insurance agent to file a claim on the dog owner's insurance.
    Old 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM

we have a big red barn and people donate cats to us all the time LOL, it makes me sad because my old tom died of old age years ago and was inside all the time. The ones in the barn are all just food for the coyotes. sad to say, but its true...we do put out food if we see young ones but gee whiz I don't want anymore cats, please
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    The police should have been called. The dog owners would have gotten a ticket for leash law violation. Most homeowner insurance covers pets that cause damage or injury to others, call your mom's insurance agent to file a claim on the dog owner's insurance.
    She did call the police to file a report... on the advice of Neighbor A, the owner of the first unfortunate little dog! (He did recover.)

I appreciate the suggestion about pursuing it through the insurance company. That would take some of the emotion out of the situation, and possibly some of the financial concern for both parties! I never thought about homeowners insurance having anything to do with animals... but then I've never encountered this type of situation before.
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by JJs
    My opinion only - all owners are at fault
    the cat owner for allowing the cat to roam outside
    the dog owner(s) for allowing dogs to run free - whether supervised or not

since the dogs were in the cat owner's yard, frankly they should at least offer to share in the vet bills

now if the cat was halfway down the street and the dogs chased it home, that's a different story
    This answer gets my vote for the fairest way to handle the whole situation.
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 AM

Was the cat on your mom's property at the time of the chase and attack? Have the police been called? Has a complaint been made with animal control?

My daughter recently prosecuted a case in which one dog (a pitt bull) attacked a dachshund in it's own yard, causing $1,600. in vet bills. It was settled before trial, and the vet bills paid by the pitt bull owner.
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
    Cats, unlike dogs, go everywhere and are not "leash" animals. I don't believe the kitty was at fault in any way.
    I must say this bothers me. I have dogs who are very well trained and behaved and do not ever cause problems however, cats because they go everywhere (and why is it they can go everywhere and dogs can't?) can come to my house and climb up on my cars and scratch the crap out of the paint job for the warmth? I love all animals but usually cats can do far more harm than dogs. I know when I was pregnant I had to make sure I wore gloves when gardening so I did not pick up any cat urine diseases.
    Again let me repeat I love all animals but do not see how it is fair for a cat to be able to go everywhere and a dog can not.

As far as this particular situation I sure hope Tom recovers well and things are worked out amicably for all involved.

Hugs
    April