Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat >
  • Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

• Wise advice requested - neighbors dogs attacked Mom's cat

Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM
    Banned

I think cat-owners need to be more responsible about their cats. I live in a suburban community, where many people allow their cats to freely roam. So the cats poop in my garden, dig up newly planted flowers, scratch up my car, and try to "fight" with my cat through the patio doors (and then he gets all upset and territorial and starts peeing on things). These are well-fed cats wearing collars, so I know they belong to someone. If I can control my cat and keep him inside, why can't other pet owners? I think leash laws should be applied to cats just as they are to dogs.

As to the OP -- I have to agree with several other people in this thread. The owner of the cat bears some responsibility, since the cat was outside, unleashed. The dog owners should help some towards the cost, though.
    Old 03-11-2010, 10:49 AM

If both pet owners know what happened, I would call the insurance company and see what they say. The laws vary from state to state. I am hoping the neighbors step up and take responsibility.
    Old 03-11-2010, 11:24 AM

In my humble opionion - since the cat was in it's own yard and not wandering the neighborhood - all parties (including the cat's owner) should share the burder of the Vet's bill. No animal (including cats) should be outside without a leash.
    Old 03-11-2010, 11:47 AM

talk to both neighbors involved, if you don't get a good feeling about a calm resolution, see if your county, city has a 'mediation' team involved with animal cases. They'll help work out a satisfactory conclusion, or, help you go forward with the law. Poor kitty.
    Old 03-11-2010, 03:50 PM
    Banned

Originally Posted by Lisanne
    Two of them attacked the cat. Presumably the cat didn't initiate the attack. So the fault for the attack is with the dogs.

Sorry, Lisanne, I have to disagree with you about faul. I don't know what breed the dogs are, but most dogs have some sort of "prey drive" that will cause them to attack a smaller animal in certain circumstances. Even my own dogs, who are submissive to the cats when they are in the house, will attack a cat which is in their yard, whether it is one of their own or a stranger. This is simply the nature of the beast, and not a "Fault".
    Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM

I can say that in CA cats are considered free range animals, as they can jump over any fence. Dogs are, however, required to be on a leash when out of their own yard, and if they attack another animal, leashed or not, it is the dog's owner's responsibility. We had two cats injured bad enough for surgery, and two cats killed by dogs, all within 6 months. It happened at night, so we don't know which dog, but our cats are not allowed outside unsupervised any more. They stay in our yard anyway, but now we stay out with them, and they all come in before dark. Too many irresponsible dog owners out there. BTW, we also have dogs, and they are leased when out of the yard, and are behind a high fence that they cannot escape from. All are licensed and neutered. I know the difference between responsible and irresponsible pet ownership. I think the dog owner needs to be paying that vet bill.
    Old 03-12-2010, 07:57 PM
    Power Poster

I have to agree everyone is at fault. Perhaps the neighbors will help with the bill if you ask.
    Old 03-13-2010, 04:47 AM

My only thought is, "what if this had been a small child instead of
    a cat?!" I am a cat person and love my cats. My personal cats
    all live in my house full-time but living in the country I have "drop
    offs" and cannot see them starve so I feed them and they are outside. My neighbors have a big black lab that of course likes
    their food apparently better than her own and also steals the food dishes so I have to go over there and look for the dishes.
    She has only hurt one cat and that was a kitten the mother had moved out of a safe place and the dog of course didn't know whether she had a bunny or what. The neighbors felt bad but they mow my lawn and plow my snow "to pay for cat food" LOL. My biggest concern is I'm aftraid their dog will be hit by a car coming across the road for a snack. Actually, their last one
    was killed coming across the road.
    Old 03-13-2010, 05:04 AM
    JJs
    Banned

the only thing worse than sticking a dog in a tiny pen outside/keeping a dog on a short chain outside, is letting a dog run loose...

we also live in a rural community in the boonies and it never ceases to amaze me to see not only mutts but purebreed dogs running loose - in packs - not only big dogs but little ones that cost $$$ - with collars on!

and then you see them on the side of the road being eaten by the buzzards after they were hit by a log truck...

you want to walk up to the 'owners' and smack 'em - anybody who does that and says, "I love my pet" is lying through their teeth...

I don't know why someone even has a dog if they are going to stick it outside on a short chain...

sigh
    Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM

My 2 cents...
    cats and dogs do what comes naturally..they are not people, they don't reason. Owners are supposed to be "in control" at all times. This may or may not require a leash (an aggressive dog at the end of a retractable 10 ft leash is NOT under anyone's control..I hate those things).

For this particular incident, I think whoever let their dogs wander free is responsible..the cat was in his own yard. But I live in the suburbs and I kept our cats strictly in the house for their own protection, and because I don't like sifting cat poop out of my flower beds or the g-baby's sandbox and figure my neighbor's don't either!

My dog was always in her own yard, or on a short leash at my side. She was not friendly and I knew it. Still, even though I would block her from other dogs and she was growling, people would let their animals and KIDS approach her (especially in the waiting room at the vets) until I would say "she will attack and bite". Mind you my Cleo was a large Rottweiler!! and extremely protective of her family. And then these people would give me a look like I was in the wrong because they had to control their dog and/or kid. Really, are they stupid? Didn't anyone ever teach them some pet etiquette, or haven't they been bitten and learned their lesson? Unlike parents today who would sue me in a minute after they did nothing to keep their kid or pet from being bitten,my mother gave me a spanking both times that I was biten as a kid for pestering an animal I knew I should have left be in the 1st place!! (Really, she was a great mom, and we learned life involves consequences). Forgive the rant, Its one of my pet peeves!! :D

Good luck getting anyone to step up to their resposibility and help..but they should!

Mary