Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Working on a knitted blanket >
  • Working on a knitted blanket

• Working on a knitted blanket

Old 09-01-2024, 08:56 PM

Default Working on a knitted blanket

This blanket I am working on is for one of my daughter's co-workers. I just spent the entire evening unknitting the progress I had made to correct a big mistake I made. It is a lacework pattern called Faux Braid. It has 14 rows to the pattern that starts with Row 1 and once all 14 rows are done the next repeat starts with Row 3. All even numbered rows are wrong side. Wish me luck on finishing it.
    Old 09-02-2024, 09:40 AM

I wish you luck but as a non-knitter, I have no clue as to what you are talking about. lol Pictures would at least give a clue.
    Old 09-02-2024, 11:59 AM

This sounds very much like the first project I made as a knitter back in 1971. It also had a complicated pattern of cables. leaves and diagonal openwork in a 16 row pattern repeat. It was worth the work and is still being used in my home. A card with large print directions for each row and a row counter will help a lot to keep you on track as you work and knowing where you left off between knitting sessions. Good luck.
    Old 09-02-2024, 12:13 PM
    Power Poster

Hoping you can get in a groove! I like to knit but I don't like to keep up with rows, stitches, repeats, etc. so I am limited in what I make.
    Old 09-04-2024, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn
    This blanket I am working on is for one of my daughter's co-workers. I just spent the entire evening unknitting the progress I had made to correct a big mistake I made. It is a lacework pattern called Faux Braid. It has 14 rows to the pattern that starts with Row 1 and once all 14 rows are done the next repeat starts with Row 3. All even numbered rows are wrong side. Wish me luck on finishing it.
    I feel your pain! The only way I can do a lace pattern is to put each row on a separate index card then progress through the stack card by card (row by row). Also putting in life lines (thread a piece of thinner yarn of a contrasting color through all the stitches in a row -leave the stitches on the needle) as a marker that everything below the marker is correct. If you have to rip back, the life line will hold your stitches so you can pick them up again. Lace is so beautiful it's worth the effort, I think! Good luck!

​​​
    Old 09-04-2024, 07:40 AM

Hemlock, the idea of a "life line" is genius, especially with an intricate knitted pattern!
    Old 09-04-2024, 02:27 PM

Yes, heard about it in a knitting forum so idea is not original with me but I can say life lines have saved me more than once! Lol

​​​
    Old 09-05-2024, 09:47 AM
    Power Poster

Practice "reading your knitting". It's a must for lace knitting.
    Old 09-07-2024, 05:56 PM

I have the pattern printed out and in a plastic sleeve. I also use a row counter I can slip on the needle. When I am knitting it goes on the left needle but when I stop for the evening, I put the row counter with the next row showing on the right needle right snug up against the knitting. So far it is working for me. I am on the 4th ball of yarn and still have2 more to go I hope I can make it to the length she wants me to knit before I need more yarn. The yarn is Knit Picks Brava it is 100% acrylic. So far, I am at 28 3/8 inches.
    Old 09-14-2024, 01:25 PM

I finally finished the blanket last night. I just need to block it and steam it before getting a gift box to put it in so it stays clean while daughter is getting everything ready to gift to the coworker.