Writing a thank you note

Old 10-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

and, i have come to realize, that trying to deal with no TYs causes me stress. i am generous by nature, but resent the lack of gratitude. should i, or should i not, continue to give gifts to those that may or may not appreciate them? even the simple act of picking up a sale item for my daughter who has no time or money to do it herself. i keep telling myself not to do it, but i want to so much. :cry:
Old 10-05-2011, 07:30 AM

I agree that a Thank you should be sent to anyone that gives you something. I don't think that it is in the past to do the right thing. Don't know about children these days!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:18 AM

Hallelluiah!!

Some time ago I received a hail of criticism because I thought a thank you was in order for something I generously gave to someone.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:42 AM

and I got in touch with my parents-in-law because the boys hadn't opened the Christmas presents from them by Boxing Day and responded ...

We open one set of presents each day, starting with immediate family on Christmas Day, and write (err ... draw) and Thank you for each item before we open the next set of gifts ...

Hubby's family seem to think I am very very strange for this but the time when we were at their home and played it their way I had an extremely overstimulated boy, who with all his cousins around him wasn't at all sure which gifts belonged to him (He said 'I really really like that fire truck' and was astounded when I said 'It's yours, don't you remember unwrapping it?' LOL!) and was overwhelmed by the huge heap of gifts piled around my feet, and I was totally stressed out trying to write a description of each item and who had given it on the back of a Christmas card!

I confess I don't make my boys, now 6 and 3, produce a thank you for items they have received AND unwrapped in the presence of the giver ... I feel their reaction and the sharing of the pleasure of the gift together is thanks enough ... but otherwise it really doesn't take that much effort to draw a blobby picture, or even stick a printed out photo of boy and toy, onto a piece of card and post it off!

I agree, it's nice to know that something has arrived safely and been appreciated, but stroppy phonecalls on the day following the event are a tad irritating as well - not everything is guaranteed to be presented and paid attention to on the exact date of the event!

Helen
Old 10-05-2011, 01:13 PM

My neice sent one thank you card to me to "share" with my sister and mother. Keep in mind we don't live anywhere near each other! For the wedding present we got nothing. Not even an email saying they appreciated it. I think this is dispicable and her mother certainly knows better. If we don't teach them how will they learn.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:19 PM

i agree with miss manners, i made a quilt for my niece last year, whom ive only seen a few times, for her wedding, and i didnt even get a thank you from her, her dad OR her mom! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-146016-1.htm
katz
Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 PM

its to bad most poeple dont have manners i just got a thankyou card from a baby gift and the baby is at least 6 month old already. but i gave someone else a quilt as a baby gift they were very apreciative at the shower and they sent a thank you card and she stopped me at a family gathering to tell again how much she liked it.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:04 PM

I am guilty of occasionally being tardy with a thank you note, particularly after a baby's arrival, but I still send it - even if it is late. As for those who think the whole next generation is without hope, take heart. I have raised my five year old from day one to always acknowledge and express gratitude following receipt of a gift. In a nod to modern day technology, I have also sent thank you emails and made thank you telephone calls - and my son does the same. Not every member of the younger generation is without hope!! ;)
Old 10-05-2011, 11:22 PM

I don't remember anyone on here saying thank yous shouldn't be sent. Yes it is disappointing(but not the end of the world) to not get a response letting us know the gift we gave was appreciated BUT we need to GET OVER IT and remember we don't have to EVER give them another gift! I for one refuse to get bummed about not getting a thank you note. That's just fewer gifts I have to worry about in my future(plus it saves me money) and if it bums them out to not get anything more from me then I say let them start their own pity party on their own website. No one can control what others do/do not do, but we can control how we respond to their actions.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 AM
dd

I made my niece's daughter a Winnie the Pooh quilt when she was born. She carried it everywhere and it was very worn. She asked me to make her another one. I feel this is the greatest thank you. I told her she wouldn't like it because the baby knew where all the holes were. I made it and she wouldn't carry it. Then my niece was pregnant with twins. She came to me and said I found the perfect fabric for the quilts for the twins. My mouth dropped, then I started laughing. OK 2 more quilts. Another baby boy - NO quilt.
Unfortunately everything was lost last year when their trailer burned to the ground. At least no one was home.