Writing a thank you note

Old 10-06-2011, 07:23 AM

This will be my last year to send Christmas Presents to my son's two boys. My son does not acknowledge them or send pictures. He changed when he married a girl who didn't want his family as part of the package. Seven years later I don't even get pictures of the two boys. Tried really hard to continue to have him and his family in our lives. But there comes a time when you know things will never change. Starting in 2012 I will just send a gift card for birthday and Christmas. No point in wasting more on postage when the gifts aren't acknowledged anyway.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:34 AM

I polled my kids...Both sons agree a thank you note is a must. One DIL agrees..other one thinks an e-mail or a text msg will do...Guess you know which one I prefer!

My children were taught to write notes when they were very young..Christmas morning gifts were opened and right after dinner notes were written. They got "Thank You" notes in their stockings. They still write them especially when gifts are received by mail. I believe it is simply good manners and I love the practice.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Manners are Manners, no matter what era.
Note ARE definitely required.

If I do not receive a not then,
never again will they get a gift.

J J
Old 10-06-2011, 10:29 AM

I agree! My children have been taught to send thank you notes. It is rude and ungracious to not do so.I sometimes will ask a new bride or gift recepient if they liked the gift that we sent them-just to at least acknowledge that they received it. If I get no thankyou they will not get another gift from me.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:35 AM

Manners is not in the vocabulary in this day and age- they do not feel the need to say excuse me, thank you or any other nicety that you and I have been brought up with.... I have found this across the board (not this board) not good terminology - but in general, with the children in this era. and believe this or not it includes my grand daughter!!! I'm not proud of her for it either; I'd have thought she'd have been brought up better than that - my son is very thankful for what he gets, but not his daughter! She has a lot of growing up to do - along with the rest of the world of today - so sad to see the direction our young folks are headed in...
Old 10-06-2011, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by blueangel
I think it is very poor manners to not send thank you notes to people who have been so generous to you. That's the way I was brought up.
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Since when are good manners a generational thing?
Old 10-06-2011, 12:49 PM

A few remarks to a different generation:

Good manners does seem to be a generational thing today. If your generation is entitled to many things that previous generations had to earn for themselves then perhaps that explains why you do not feel you have to say thank you. You are only receiving what you are entitled to. And when you have listed your shopping preferences in gift registers and you expect people to only buy and give you what you have pre-selected I guess you don't have to say thank you that they did your shopping for you. For friends and relatives who gave you a handmade quilt that wasn't on your registered list of preferred gifts - well I guess we know why there was no thank you sent. I supposed if you had wanted a quilt you would have listed one. These new rules are hard for some of us older more mannerly folks to get used to, so if we decide we will just not participate in the gift giving game anymore we know you won't miss us. After all, we aren't playing by your rules anyway.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:10 PM

very well put!!
Old 10-06-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by TanyaL
A few remarks to a different generation:

Good manners does seem to be a generational thing today. If your generation is entitled to many things that previous generations had to earn for themselves then perhaps that explains why you do not feel you have to say thank you. You are only receiving what you are entitled to. And when you have listed your shopping preferences in gift registers and you expect people to only buy and give you what you have pre-selected I guess you don't have to say thank you that they did your shopping for you. For friends and relatives who gave you a handmade quilt that wasn't on your registered list of preferred gifts - well I guess we know why there was no thank you sent. I supposed if you had wanted a quilt you would have listed one. These new rules are hard for some of us older more mannerly folks to get used to, so if we decide we will just not participate in the gift giving game anymore we know you won't miss us. After all, we aren't playing by your rules anyway.

Interesting. I recently gave a gift to a young couple who had a new baby and still haven't heard anything but even more surprising to me was they wouldn't open the gifts at the shower. Several people were so disappointed...wanted to share in the joy and excitement of seeing what others had selected for this precious baby boy especially since they don't live close and wouldn't be able to see him wear any of his outfits. Sad sign of the times, I think.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:53 PM

My 19 year old grand daughter and her 31 year old husband were married 9-10-11.
This is the opening: Family are the people we love,with them your heart can laugh without shyness and your tears can dry ayt their own pace.
Then it went on to describe the presents one gave to them and the appreciation for their time taken out of their busy lives.
final:
We are so blessed to be able to share with you our Love and Happiness.

I would say your son and dil are just lazy and selfish,
The card was such a gift to people who received them. They are wrong.