Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Yard Work, Who is working outside in yard or garden? >
  • Yard Work, Who is working outside in yard or garden?

• Yard Work, Who is working outside in yard or garden?

Old 04-11-2010, 05:21 AM

::sigh:: that's what I have to do today. My yard is a complete disaster. I didn't take care of it last year like I should have so now I have to major clean up.

Good part is that it will look like someone nice lives here.
    Old 04-11-2010, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Darlene
    Here are some of my tulips. I only plant red ones. We cleared out a bunch of hostas last fall and the tulips have never looked better.
    Why only red ones? I got the best deal this year. Bought myself a pot of yellow tulips right before Easter. Went back two days after Easter and they had them all 1/2 price. I got 6 more pots. And the pots have anywhere from 6 - 12 bulbs in them. I have them all in the living room where they are just so pretty. Will plant them when the flowers die off. I have red, yellow, two different pinks, and even one parrot! DH and grandsons are going to build a new raised bed to put them in, outside of the kitchen window so I will be able to see them from the house next year

:!: :-P
    Old 04-12-2010, 01:35 PM

lovely photos! makes me anxious to go play in the dirt - too bad we have more snow coming! RE: raking rocks. I read somewhere that you can use a shopvac to vacume up rocks in the yard. Sounds like a good idea that I will try when the weather warms.
    Old 04-12-2010, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Pats8e8
    Originally Posted by Darlene
    Here are some of my tulips. I only plant red ones. We cleared out a bunch of hostas last fall and the tulips have never looked better.
    Why only red ones? I got the best deal this year. Bought myself a pot of yellow tulips right before Easter. Went back two days after Easter and they had them all 1/2 price. I got 6 more pots. And the pots have anywhere from 6 - 12 bulbs in them. I have them all in the living room where they are just so pretty. Will plant them when the flowers die off. I have red, yellow, two different pinks, and even one parrot! DH and grandsons are going to build a new raised bed to put them in, outside of the kitchen window so I will be able to see them from the house next year

:!: :-P
    Oh....... I so want to see pictures of your tulips!!!
    Old 04-12-2010, 05:13 PM

today I mowed (wow am I outta shape in general and from surgery) then I thinned my chives and transplanted some, and planted a few violas..... have to have some COLOR!

I have several shrubs that need to be removed. Arghhhhh!
    BUT... then I get to shop for something to replace them with! Fun......
    Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 PM

At my land I planted 3 rose bushes a month or so ago and they were leafing out nicely a couple weekends ago. I also planted pansies around my mailbox, along with a couple of iris and hyacinths. Don't know how well the iris will do this year,as they did not get planted last fall as they really should have, but I have great expectations for next year.

At my house several colors of iris are blooming or about to bloom, the red bud trees have already bloomed, as have the daffodils, snow drops, and narcissus. I also have a Lady Banks rose that is trying to take over the back yard, but it is totally covered in creamy yellow blooms.
    Old 04-13-2010, 03:01 AM

Yard has been cleaned up of branches, twigs, etc. and raked. Flower beds have been cleaned out from all the leaves that mysteriously appear after raking in fall!!! Flower beds have already been weeded. Crocus' have bloomed and daffodils are blooming. Forsynthia(sp) is in bloom. I have a table filled with veggies & flowers that I've started for the garden and flower beds.

Need to re-seed areas in the yard and mulch the flower beds. Then the driveway area needs working on. 350' up hill, both sides of it need to be done yet.
    Old 04-13-2010, 03:25 AM

i cut my grass yesterday for the first time too!

i had it de-thatched a couple days ago. i wish i had put some seed down, because we have rain today.
    :-(

i have been working out there for a couple weeks. i have split a bunch of plants..and moved them to other areas.

i offered up some of my plants on a local gardening board. so i will have people over here all week, digging up bee balm and day lilles and whatever else is ready to be split..

there is nothing like grabbing a coffee first thing in the morning..taking my furbabies with me..and just walk around looking at all the wonders of new growth!
    Old 04-13-2010, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
    I'm not ready for flowers yet. We have had a couple nights that are close to freezing. I'm holding off a while yet.
    in michigan, i wait until my birthday to plant annuals..late may.
    i lost so many annuals once, i swore to never plant before my birthday.

it is fine to split perennials now though. they are pretty tough plants...
    Old 04-14-2010, 04:37 PM

Oh....... I so want to see pictures of your tulips!!![/quote]

Hi Alaska,

Sorry I didn't see this earlier, but now I've taken a picture of them, they are getting a little ragged. I'll plant them outside next
    week. Anyway, I also took a few pictures of my lilacs to hold you over until your spring.

All the tulips in their pots.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]59466[/ATTACH]

Lilacs and bird feeder.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]59467[/ATTACH]

More lilacs.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]59468[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-59466.jpe   attachment-59467.jpe   attachment-59468.jpe