Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • You will not believe what I found. >
  • You will not believe what I found.

• You will not believe what I found.

Old 07-18-2024, 07:21 PM

Smile You will not believe what I found.

I was looking for something in the garage and saw a box of my knitting books that had been packed up when we remodeled the for my husbands 'chair. In that box I found the leaflet I taught myself to knit from. I taught myself to knit so that i could add a baby blanket to go with the item I had bought for my English teacher's baby shower that the class was putting on for her. It was a small class because it was one of the early classes of the school day near the end of school for the year. I knitted the blanket from the instructions in the leaflet. I later got a note from the teacher saying her little boy loved running his hand back and forth over the blanket because of the texture in the blanket.
    Old 07-19-2024, 03:12 AM

I’m glad you found it. It’s nice to receive a note saying how much the recipient likes it. Do you plan to knit another?
    Old 07-19-2024, 04:02 AM

What a lovely memory to cherish and you had the wisdom to keep the instructions and the note of thanks. I hope you are keeping photos or other documentation of your quilts. It is amazing how soon we forget what we spent so much energy and brain power creating.
    Old 07-19-2024, 10:03 AM

What an ambitious teen you were - learning to knit by making a blanket. Doing well, too, as it sounds like you created a keepsake. Isn't it fun to find old treasures! Does this give you the yen to knit something now?
    Old 07-19-2024, 10:16 AM
    Power Poster

I'm a knitter too, and a crocheter. Quilting by day and yarn work by night! Congrats finding the book. You may have a different slant on those projects now that time has passed and you've gotten lots more experience under your belt.
    Old 07-19-2024, 06:28 PM

Yes it was so nice to get that note. Now my daughter wants me to make a blanket for a girl she works with who is pregnant. I am going to knit the same blanket as soon as I can figure out to make it a little larger. I can't just add extra stitches, because of the pattern but I am going to figure it out somehow. There are several lines in the pattern that have certain number of knit then a certain number of purls and repeated so that the pattern is symmetrical.
    Old 07-20-2024, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DaylilyDawn
    Yes it was so nice to get that note. Now my daughter wants me to make a blanket for a girl she works with who is pregnant. I am going to knit the same blanket as soon as I can figure out to make it a little larger. I can't just add extra stitches, because of the pattern but I am going to figure it out somehow. There are several lines in the pattern that have certain number of knit then a certain number of purls and repeated so that the pattern is symmetrical.
    You can add a seed stitch border the number of stitches you want to add. I have done that many times to "frame" the center design and give the edges more stability, especially on more "airy" patterns.