Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Are your dogs itching and scratching? >
  • Are your dogs itching and scratching?

• Are your dogs itching and scratching?

Old 07-05-2013, 08:02 PM

My older dog is allergic to grass. Hes suffered for 13 yrs with this (toy poodle), we tried benadryl, it did nothing. Both of my dogs are treated with Frontline Plus monthly, so no fleas. My newest vet put him on presidone and its like a miracle! He does still scratch some, but its drastically reduced. She said dogs tolerate steroids much better than humans do. My younger dog (a poodle/bichon mix) started licking his belly and biting his paws. I gave him about 3 doses and hes much better. Take them to the vet and see what they say. The pills arent expensive and well worth it~for relief for all of you!

PS I give them Diamond dog food..no wheat, soy or corn in it, sometimes dogs are allergic to those things in their food..have you changed it recently?

Last edited by qltgrose; 07-05-2013 at 08:05 PM.
    Old 07-05-2013, 08:27 PM

My Jack Russell has been scratching so much the last few months. And so has my son's two dogs. They all are on flea meds and are bathed regularly. I changed mine's dog food to "Taste of the Wild" which has bison and venison in it and no grains at all. She is doing better. Will see if it works and then change my son's dog food.
    Old 07-06-2013, 05:01 AM

My beagle, Libby, has this problem often... my vet has diagnosed her with allergies... Once it was so bad, he gave her steroids to get it under control... but he also "prescribed" the following for when it's not so bad, and this summer this has helped her so much I haven't had to take her in. Next week is her annual appt/vaccinations, and he'll check her over. Once her tummy was just so rashy... poor thing..

Anyway... here's what he said to do... 1) Only feed what we know doesn't cause a reaction. I had to switch to a lamb/rice food
    2) when she's itching, try 2 (25mg) benadryl (I use the generic) every 8 hours. She weighs about 30 pounds. This seems to help and so far this summer, it's only been a few days at a time.
    3) Omega 3 and 6 and 9 (I think...) you might want to check on this...

hope this helps!!

Last edited by running1; 07-06-2013 at 05:03 AM.