Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Is your neighborhood pharmacy in trouble ? >
  • Is your neighborhood pharmacy in trouble ?

• Is your neighborhood pharmacy in trouble ?

Old 06-25-2024, 07:20 AM

Default Is your neighborhood pharmacy in trouble ?

When the last K-Mart closed, the young lady pharmacist bought a small corner building, and remodeled it for her own pharmacy. At first her door was open and she was very visible on a busy corner but there’s a large vagrant population there so she needed to lock and serve by drive up window only. She carried most everything people need from a drug store standpoint. We have closer pharmacies but we gave her as much business as we could and she seemed busy. In May, she announced she was closing for good. It seems the big pharmaceutical supply companies make it hard for the little person to survive. I’m sad for her.
    Old 06-25-2024, 08:31 AM
    Power Poster

It is a problem for sure. We are lucky enough to have a small family chain of local
    pharmacies here and there. One of them is about 2 miles from our house and they do compounding which I like because one of my medicines is compounded. The chain pharmacies don't do that. I hope they stay in business
    Old 06-25-2024, 09:07 AM

a local couple own the rx here, have had it for 40 years. its 20 miles to larger towns either direction. the problem i see is it has the same stock that was there 30 years ago, like fostoria... i cant imagine the locals under 40 using it.
    Old 06-25-2024, 10:40 AM
    Power Poster

There are several nice independent pharmacies in my town including compounding ones. Walmart pharmacy and several grocery chains have pharmacies here too. We have a Walgreens. And the county hospital in town has a pharmacy. I didn't realize how many pharmacies we do have here. All seem to be thriving. Well one has an elderly owner and he doesn't seem interested in keeping the business open, not that great customer service at his pharmacy from what others have told me. Most of his customers are regulars from years back.
    Old 06-25-2024, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts
    the problem i see is it has the same stock that was there 30 years ago
    Ooooo I wonder if they have any starch left in stock... 🤣🤣
    Old 06-26-2024, 04:56 AM

never had any but the grocer across the street had some, you could give them a call
    Old 06-26-2024, 05:02 AM

I order my meds online as I get a better deal. My secondary health insurance also tells us where we can order our meds. We used to be able to go to Walgreens but they've been cut and now it's Walmart so I continue to order online every 3 or 4 months for a 3 month supply.
    Old 06-26-2024, 06:52 AM

we have one in town, the pharmacist (M) passed away and his wife is carrying on. I happened to go in to get some meds for one of my driving clients. It's like they are in the middle of closing down. Whole section is closed, few items on the shelf, Christmas cards and items still on display. But she gives great service to her clients, they have delivery, so they are hanging on.
    Old 06-26-2024, 10:10 AM

A couple of independent pharmacies here have closed. I was so sad. One of them was right near my house and I really enjoyed shopping there. Unlike the Walgreens.
    Old 06-26-2024, 10:59 AM
    Power Poster

I searched and found nine pharmacies in my town of about 36,000. Five miles away in another small town they have nine also. We are about 20 miles from the state capitol to the north east and the same distance to popular resort town to the west so there are a lot of everything between here and there.