Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy? >
  • Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy?

• Are Your Tomatoes Making You Crazy?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:40 PM

Our tomatoes are slooooooowly getting ripe. Getting only a few at a time - crazy weather. What we have had are very good. Can't beat homegrown.
    Old 08-15-2013, 04:33 PM

Oh my I have so been wanting a good homegrown tomatoe and can't find any I have even stopped at a produce market when I got to talking they came from mexico I wanted home grown not shipped in from somewhere they just dont taste the same going to have to find the farmers market
    Old 08-15-2013, 05:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

NOTHING is better than home grown fresh tomatoes......unless, maybe, corn just 5 minutes from stalk to pot!!!!!
    Summer never lasts long enough for me....sigh. I eat my tomatoes sliced with sea salt, at least 2 a day all summer.

Jan in VA
    Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM

I foist them off on friends and neighbors. Nobody leaves my house without tomatoes when they're ripe! In my area they are ripe in the winter.
    Old 08-16-2013, 04:34 AM

My son likes to make red sauce out of the tomatoes from his garden and freezes the sauce in containers. Then he can pull out a container now and then during the winter, yum.
    Old 08-16-2013, 04:52 AM

I wish I had that problem. I don't have a garden. Last year I was fortunate to be able to purchase a 25 pound box of tomatoes at a really good price. I froze whole tomatoes. I oven-dried tomatoes. I made marinara sauce in the crockpot. I made plain tomato sauce in the crockpot. I'm out of last year's bounty and wishing for more but haven't seen any deals.
    Old 08-16-2013, 05:56 AM

My garden is finally flourishing. Yesterday I made spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes, zuccinni, summer squash, green and yellow peppers, sweet onions, fresh basil & oregano (did buy some mushrooms and garlic bulbs) all from the garden. It smelled divine all day and the nine quarts of sauce will be a treat many times this winter. Tomorrow I start making lasagna to freeze--love natures bounty.
    Old 08-16-2013, 06:15 AM
    Power Poster

We used to container garden and had some good ones and more than we could handle. Gave some to the neighbors and soup kitchen. They were knocking my acid reflux all over the place though. Our neighbor is of Hispanic descent and saved some of the seeds. They had just moved in and we thought they could use a good Welcome Wagon gift. In return they made some really good salsas (sans the cilantro (Dh is sensitive) and they make bbq sauces.
    Old 08-16-2013, 06:17 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

I take my some of the tomatoes- put em in the food processor -pulse them till them are almost mush, add olive oil, garlic, onion, basil and then pulse some more. Put em in freezer containers, suck the air outta them and then I have a mixture for sketti, lasagne or meatball sammiches. All I have to do is add other ingredients (tomato sauce, tomato paste or __________ <fill in the blank as to what the need is for that day's meals). I also freeze some whole, can them.
    Old 08-16-2013, 06:36 AM

Try making a Tomatoe Pie. There is a great recipe on (allrecipes.com). It is delicious and it can be frozen. Bea