Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hello from Appalachia! >
  • Hello from Appalachia!

• Hello from Appalachia!

Old 10-09-2007, 04:18 AM

Hi!
    My name is Emma. I have been receiving mails from this site for awhile and have finally decided to join. I am approaching the "sunset" years of my life, but think that maybe, through all of my hard working and nonsensical experiences, that I might be able to add a moment or two of lightheartedness/humor and who knows? Maybe even a tip or two about sewing/quilting??? I have been sewing since I was 6 years old. I was the last of 11 children with a gap of 8 years between my next older sibling and I. (There had been 2 deaths in between.) My brother and sisters say that I was always spoiled... Moi??? No way!!! Back to the subject: My Mother, (yes, with a capitol) was my hero. She had the patience of Job, but sadly became afflicted with Alzheimers disease in her mid 50's and finally went to her resting place after 18 years of total not-knowing. She taught me that whatever was worth doing was "worth doing well," wash your feet every day if you don't wash anything else, (does that one really make sense??? don't know, but I still wash my feet everyday! :) "Wear it in; wear it out, do with what you got, or do without." Hmm, some people have probably figured my approximate age by now, right? OK, 'fess up time: I'll be 70 in January. I was a practicing RN for 35 years. (Always wondered why they say Doctors and Nurses PRACTICE..... I guess they just can't figure out how to do it right!)
    Anyhow, sewing has been on the back burner for awhile with me, and it's good to get back to it...
    Thanks for reading; I look forward to putting in some worthwhile info in the near future...
    In stitches,
    Em
    Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 AM

welcome from Alabama you already know about how great this program is so let us see some quilts Happy Quilting memawsaquilting
    Old 10-09-2007, 04:54 AM

Hi Emma,
    Welcome from Northwest Missouri!!!!
    Glad you decided to join in our fun and friendly quilting family.
    This a great family to be in.
    God bless!!!
    Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 AM

I am truly looking forward to sharing with everyone. Thank you all !(Y'all... Southern roots :D )
    In stitches,
    Em
    Old 10-09-2007, 06:31 AM

Welcome to the family! We are glad you decided to join us! I always love hearing those "rules" that mom's and grandparents tell ya. It's nice to meet you! Feel free to post any pictures, comments or questions you may have. :)
    Old 10-09-2007, 09:45 AM
    Power Poster

Hello and Welcome! So happy to have you join us, I look forward to more of your "stories" and would love to see some of your work! :D
    Old 12-07-2007, 05:03 AM

hello from the foothills of north carolina , and and glad to have you on here with us ,, and would love to see some of your work so post some of it ..
    Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 AM

Hiya Em,

Welcome to the group, you will fit right in with everyone. :) I'm glad you took the plunge and joined. Looking forward to getting to know you. :)
    Old 12-07-2007, 06:14 AM

Welcome Emma,

I'm pretty new to quilting but started sewing as a kid. I'm slightly younger than your next youngest sibling and from well north of you, but I was raised with many of the same values you were (buy if you need it and can afford it or do without) but never heard about washing my feet if that's all I could wash. Wonder if it has to do with going barefoot--which wasn't common for us. Too cold most of the year, I guess. My mom said always to wear clean, non-holey underwear in case we got into an accident, though.

Ginny in snowy Duluth, Minnesota

Old 12-07-2007, 10:47 AM

welcome Emma, I could have written the post you posted myself. Although I am the oldest of five. We are the same age, I worked as an RN for 37yrs, and you are right, we are practicing all the time. LOL I live in NE Pa. this is a neat place to laugh, cry, share and help each other out. I am sure you will enjoy being on this board. Marge