• Hello from eastern Iowa >
  • Hello from eastern Iowa

• Hello from eastern Iowa

Old 06-21-2011, 07:25 PM
    Power Poster

Welcome from WI.
    Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam
    Hello. I have been reading the forum for a few days and decided you look like a great place to learn more. I live in eastern Iowa, and I've only made baby quilts so far. I piece on either a Bernina 440 or a Singer Featherweight. I used to quilt on the Bernina, but I recently bought a sitdown Handiquilter Sweet 16 that I love! Some of the quilt tops sitting around are finally going to be quilted :lol: I'm also working on my quilting skills which have until recently been limited to quilt in the ditch and meandering.

I work full-time which limits my time in my sewing studio. :-( However I do get time to sew a few garments and I have a (very) small business doing custom embroidery using a Happy 12 needle machine. I love all things textile, but the arthritis in my hands keep me from doing handwork. I also love machines, and I have a stable of them! I primarily use the Bernina 440, but I also have a Bernina 1031, a Singer Featherweight (1950s), a White Family Rotary (late 1940s), a Singer treadle VS3 (early 1900s), and a Bernina 1300MDC serger. One can never have too many machines! I use them all except the White and the treadle, but even those are in good shape just waiting for someone to love them.

Pam

Pam
    You are so right, one can never have too many machines! welcome from W TX.
    Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 PM

Welcome from Utah
    Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 AM

Waving from Australia
    Old 06-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Hi Pam,
    I am from Long Grove, Iowa and so far I have made about four quilts. But I get to tie my quilts or put in little stitches to hold everything together. But as long as I get to make them I don't care. Although I wish I had a better sewing machine, mine is a pretty generic machine but in my book if it makes a stitch it is good enough for me.
    Old 06-22-2011, 08:03 AM
    Power Poster

Hello Pam!
    Welcome from Minnesota!
    Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM

Sounds like you have your hands full. I just saw the flooding in Nebraska. I hope it's not where you are going. I don't know what's up with the weather this year. It's 85 today and still humid. Thank God I didn't have to babysit today. After I tool mother out for her ride, I did all my errands and am now in AC. We had a thunderstorm last night and are supposed to have one for the next 4 days. Friday the temp is going to be 69. Since I don't have to babysit, I might take a drive up along Lake Erie. I have 2 wallhangings that have been done for 2 years and they are still waiting. I only have 2 1/2 pair of fleece mittens to make for the Polar Express. Good thing they only need them in Sept. I have to make them with double fleece and they just barely fit under my foot. Too thick. Take it easy in the heat. Pat
    Old 06-22-2011, 10:42 AM

Hello from San Gabriel, California
    Old 06-22-2011, 11:15 AM
    Power Poster

I'm not sure if there is flooding in the are around Lincoln, Omaha and Crete, NE, but there might be I know there is a lot of flooding along the Missouri River in SD and Iowa. I have a brother that lives in Ohio that is not sure whether they will be able to get to the reunion because they have to pass over 2 bridges over the Missouri to get to NE. Hopefully the river will go below flood stage by then. I know my brother in SD didn't mention any flooding where they live, but there is considerable flooding by the river and in the lower levels. You just never know where it will happen. About 5 years ago we had TWO 100 year flooding in Litchfield, NH right in a row. The first flooding took out a bridge in my neighborhood and the next year it took out the bridge lower down on the brook. It was unbelievable the amount of land that was swept away when the bridge went. But two 100-year floods in two years was unheard of. Take care, I've got to get back to pin basting that quilt.
    Old 06-22-2011, 11:57 AM

Hi & Welcome from Oregon!