Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hello from Lincolnshire, England >
  • Hello from Lincolnshire, England

• Hello from Lincolnshire, England

Old 09-12-2023, 04:46 AM

Default Hello from Lincolnshire, England

Just saying hello, I'm completely new to quilting but have nearly finished piecing a log cabin throw. I've decided to hand quilt it and have found some of the older posts interesting and useful.

Julie
    Old 09-12-2023, 05:46 AM

Welcome to the forum. We are here every day and enjoy learning new things and helping others. Join in often.
    I have a long , long time email friend in The West Midlands, England. I met her online over twenty years ago and we've been chatting ever since.
    Old 09-12-2023, 07:40 AM

Welcome and warm greetings -- so glad you found us here. Good for you for hand quilting! I'm afraid that I am pretty terrible at most handwork... but other people here are great and I'm sure can give you some helpful advice when you need it. We all start at some point and hopefully progress from there.

We love pictures of all projects and levels of skill. There is information in the Help section but picture posting can be a bit convoluted.

I've been missing from the boards for a bit, but I believe we have/had a few regular posters from the other side of the pond, and we have quite a few Canadians.

I've just recently moved from the Seattle, WA area (just a bit south of Vancouver BC) and used to watch a lot of CBC, which has a lot of BBC/Channel 4 programming. My tv day (also my quilting time) while hubby was at work started with Grand Designs (both British and Australian) and ending with Escape to the Country. This past year I became fascinated with George Clarke's Amazing Spaces -- even though I am not a small space sort of person. Also eagerly awaiting the next season of the Great British Baking Show (same show but "bake off" was problematic here).
    Old 09-12-2023, 08:31 AM

Hi Fat Gracie and welcome from sunny Southern California! I'm intrigued by your name and am looking forward to hearing more from you.
    Old 09-12-2023, 11:58 AM

Hello and another warm welcome from Southern California!
    Old 09-13-2023, 04:00 AM

Hello from Delaware on the east coast. I do a bit of hand piecing and hand quilting every now and then but not often. Happy to have you join us.
    Old 09-14-2023, 02:29 AM

Default Thanks for the warm welcome

Until recently I loathed sewing of any kind, my passion has always been for wool – spinning, dyeing, weaving and knitting Fair Isle. I just love pure untreated wool. For some reason when we went into lockdown, I packed up all my yarn paraphernalia and got to grips with sewing. Starting with masks and scrubs then, clothes for family, friends and myself.
    In the 1970s a friend took me to an exhibition of antique quilts in Durham Cathedral. I was totally blown away but never thought I would be able to make one. Now I have time, much more patience and being less of a perfectionist, it's time to have a go.
    Twelve blocks are complete, should I stop at sixteen? Do I have the grit to hand quilt twenty or even twenty-five blocks?
    Old 09-14-2023, 03:30 AM

Waving hello from Baltimore Maryland. I like the look of those blocks!
    Old 09-24-2023, 04:01 AM

Greeting from "the Mitten State", Michigan. Hand quilting is a skill and like any skill it will take experience to perfect. I see that your project appears to be made of batiks. Lovely colors by the way or is it colours. I have been told, and you can confirm it here with others who hand quilt, that batiks are more difficult to hand quilt because the threads are more tightly woven together. Are you perhaps planning on doing the "Big Stitch" form of hand quilting? Either way you have a good eye for color and the texture created by the prints. Keep showing us your progress. Welcome, welcome, welcome.
    Old 09-24-2023, 07:35 AM

Greetings from across the pond! Texas here. Your blocks are very nice. I can hardly wait to see the finished quilt.