Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hello from Minnesota >
  • Hello from Minnesota

• Hello from Minnesota

Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 AM

Hi, all,

I am Anita and I live in Robbinsdale, MN, which is a suburb of Minneapolis. I work at Metrostate University in St. Paul as staff support to 8 full time professors and several community faculty and have very little time to quilt. But I try to keep up with the current events. And I am always buying fabric!

I have been making quilts and comforters for about 25 years. I make quick "down and dirty" (meaning easy) Eleanor Burns log cabin comforters for gifts. They are something that gets the tears flowing at Christmas, but actually took little time to make thanks to the turning inside out method and perle cotton.

I also hand quilt most small quilts that I make. I make a lot of wall hangings and quilt them by hand, but have too many to quilt now, and am going to tackle learning how to quilt on the machine. Somehow, I think of machine quilting as an oxymoron because quilting is something done by hand... not a machine! However, I have seen many gorgeous quilts that were done on the machine and have to admit that they are as good (if not better) than anything that could be done by hand.

I hope I haven't offended anybody with the above. I think that any and all of us that are carrying on this ageless tradition should be applauded. If not for making quilts, for allowing the world to think that we are truly sane! We know that we aren't... Sane people do not horde fabric, nor do they cut up perfectly good big pieces of fabric into little pieces and then sew them back together again--usually cursing the sewing machine, the pattern, or themselves for deciding to make the 'blankety-blank-blank' thing.

Okay, I have rambled enough. Faculty is hanging around...

Peace to all,
    Anita
    Old 01-26-2007, 09:51 AM

Welcome Anita, sounds like you'll fit right in with us. LOL
    kathy
    Old 01-26-2007, 11:21 AM

HI ANITA!!

Boy, I am still LOL after your last paragrah!! SO TRUE!! I am somewhat of a neighbor of yours......well, not really, but in a remote area, anyway! I live in River Falls, WI.........94 across the bridge to WI, (Hudson) and south on 35 10 miles! I am familiar with your place of work........I work in Hastings (MN) and am a baker there......have been at my job 17 years. We attend church in Arden Hills, so we get around this part of the area pretty well.
    I have a son who is serving (now) in Afghanistan...(can always use allot of prayer!!) and I started quilting when he was deployed......as of Jan. '06. I have made 2 small quilts, one large twin for him to use there, and many table runners. I had Mat's machine quilted by someone, and did my own runners. Am having fun!

I have 3 grand babies.......my kids live in Maine.......see them about 2x a year.

It is nice to meet you! I hope we can chat more later! Nancy