Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hello from Newfoundland, Canada >
  • Hello from Newfoundland, Canada

• Hello from Newfoundland, Canada

Old 02-19-2008, 12:20 PM

I'm in South western Ontario. Just across the river from Detroit, MI. I call it the Florida of Ontario. We miss a lot of the snow that they get up north and that's fine with me. My husband and I have 5 children and nine gr. children. He retired last fall and we are spending our first full winter in Florida. Snowbirding it, that's what I call it. I hauled my machine and totes full of supplies and materials and all down here and I still find time to sew a bit each day. I spend lots of time outside too, as the weather has been very nice. Life couldn't be much better.\
    Again, welcome to the quilting board. I love it.
    Old 02-20-2008, 03:54 AM

Would you be in Windsor or Leamington area? I dated a guy while I was in Ottawa and he was from Leamington. We travelled there that summer from Ottawa to visit his parents for a few days. It is sooooooooo hot down that way!!!! I was amazed over all the tomato hothouses!! We drove back to Ottawa with a huge supply of the largest tomatoes I have ever seen, and three types of mushrooms including a HUGE box of portobellos!! I swear we ate so many mushrooms the next couple weeks I thought we would halluncinate LMAO!!! :lol: Southern Ontario is beautiful!!! I dipped my foot into Lake Erie (I think that was the one).. well actually a whole wave came over me.. but I didn't complain as it was soooooooo hot that weekend we were there.
    Old 02-20-2008, 09:07 PM

Yes, I live in Windsor and my mother in law lives in Leamington, the tomatoe capital of north America. there is a large Heinz processing plant in Leamington and they process thousands of tons of tomatoes every year. From mid summer until fall the roads out that way are slow going, when you get behind large wagon loads of tomatoes heading to the plant. The sides of the roads are filled with the ones that don't quite make it to their destination. It's great living here. We have an abundance of fresh produce even in winter, because of all the green houses and at rock bottom prices. I sure miss my produce, as we in Florida at the present time. There are veggies here too of course, but they can't really compare to what I can get at the markets back home. However, I'm enjoying the beautiful weather here, very much. The sun shines every day.
    Old 02-21-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
    LOL.. I used to work at Sew Much More back in 2002-2003. Debbie is selling off all her fabrics as she is giving up the quilting part and the Husqvarna and Babylock and sticking with her Tailor work. I did hear that she has a sale on her fabrics right now, something like buy one metre and get 50% off the second. I was out to Piecemakers out in Long Pond this afternoon.. what a beeeeeeeeeeautiful store!!!! She woman used to have her business out in Rocky Harbour, in Gros Morne, but her hubby had to transfer for work into the city so they packed up the business and moved out this way.
    Sewing World is nice too.
    I have a student who sells fabrics out of her home.. She has Thimbleberries, Debbie Mumm and other gorgeous fabrics. I'm sure if you call her you can set up an appointment to meet her and see what she has. She also has nice notions too.. Her name is Mary Browne. Message me privately I will give you her phone number. I can also give you my number and if you got time we could grab a coffee and chat fabrics and quilting!! Where will you be staying here?

Cheers
    Andrea
    Hi Andrea,
    Just read this tonight... Trip in and out was over before I got a chance to see your posting. I visited Sew Much More and you're right she is selling her fabric off... 50% discount. Sewing World also has a sale onright now.

I managed to spend a WHOLE lot of money on fabric and even more on the finishing touches of a bathroom "freshen-up".

My next long trip to "town" will be after I retire in June! The arrival of the whales in Bay Bulls will determine when and how long we'll be there.

You've mentioned hiking in another post. HAve you hiked to the Spout yet? We are hoping to get that one crossed off our list this summer. We usually get as far as the Flats and then we sit and watch the whales!

Sorry we missed! Maybe next time!

Lori
    Old 02-22-2008, 03:57 AM

Hi Mamagus!

I was in Sewing World on my lunch hour on Wednesday afternoon. Yes he has some nice fabrics on sale there! I had to pick up one more piece for a courthouse steps quilt I"m making for my boyfriend's 1 year old nephew.

When you do come in next we should meet up! We can take a little excursion out to Long Pond to Piecemakers!! What a gorgeous store that is!!

No we haven't done the Spout yet, but it is certainly one of the many East Coast Trails that Trevor and I would like to do. I would like to do it in two days so we can take our time and camp along the way, but I have to wait until my back is a little bit stronger. I was in a nasty car accident 1 1/2 years ago not far from Clarenville. A dump truck t-bone us on the highway. The paramedics and police both said it was amazing we all got out alive.. (still gives me chills when I think of it) I am still going through rehab to get my back "back" on the good side again. I had serious whiplash from my neck to my lower back. Anyway, to make a long story short, we would loooove to do the Spout, but might see how I am doing towards the end of the summer.

Have you done any of the East Coast trails? We wanted to take a whale and bird watching tour out in Bay Bulls last summer when friends of ours were in town, but they were not interested. So hopefully this summer we will do it. I went on them a few times, but its nice to see them again. I found one of the best times to see them is in August. We took the Gatheralls tour one year in August and they took us to this one spot where there had to be a dozen whales playing and showing off to the people on the boat. It was hilarious!!

Message me when you do come this way again!!! It would be nice to meet up with you.

Cheers
    Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 AM

Aggi...I am glad you decided to become, an oficial member of the board...we do need quilters like you.... :lol:
    Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM

Thanks Ania... I am lovin' every minute of it here!!!!!