Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hello from Poland >
  • Hello from Poland

• Hello from Poland

Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
    Power Poster

Hello and welcome from Boston, Ma. It looks like you are a very busy lady for a good cause.
    Old 11-17-2010, 08:25 PM

Welcome From San Gabriel California
    Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM

Becky, you have been a busy woman, Welcome to the board, you will enjoy it so much, everyone is so willing to share ideas and tips etc. Loved your photos, I belong to 2 quilt quilds and we too make quilts to give away, so I am always looking for new ideas and sometimes it is hard to stay off the computer so that I can sew,haha Enjoy this board and Happy quilting
    Old 11-18-2010, 03:38 AM

Welcome Becky! You are an awesome person!! - Gail
    Old 11-18-2010, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by justflyingin
    My name is Becky and I am an American living in Poland. I started doing basic patchwork a few years ago when some people sent me their extra fabric and some of it was quite ugly. I didn't know what to do with it, but had read somewhere that there is no fabric that is too ugly if you cut it into small enough pieces! So, I did that. I cut the fabric up, and make patchwork quilts of out if. It started me on something rather fun.

I've sewn since I was a teenager but have little need for more clothes. Mostly I do charity quilts and give them away to the poor here in our area. It is cold a good part of the year here and many live in substandard housing. I have actually quilted only a few, though--maybe 30 quilts in my lifetime as the charity ones I "tie".

Since the idea of quilting/patchwork is not really Polish, people here are fascinated with the quilts that we give away.

They are mostly poor people and I know from personal experience that often the women don't have many pretty things in their house--sometimes you just need something pretty to brighten up your day. That is kind of what started the whole thing. That, and the fact that people sent me ugly fabric. :)

I have been the blessed recipient of many already cut out squares, etc, so it has sped up the process of the quilt making. One church group gave me about 8 finished quilt tops and I'm finishing them up. A few people have sent me unfinished things (like 12 blocks, for example), and I try to finish them up and make them into quilts.

But I've just recently purchased a Janome 7700 and I can't wait. It should arrive today. I've never had a 'high end' machine before--since the most expensive machine I've had was a $300 Pfaff. Before that was yard sale finds in the states.

I wanted to find a place where I could ask questions and continue to learn and improve my own skills--both in patchwork piecing and in the actual quilting, which I have done, but not so much as it was incredibly difficult to fit the quilts under my other machine.

These are my quilts I'm working on for charity for 2010.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=c064ede77f
    What a wonderful thing you are doing, God Bless you for that, I am sure that you will be getting your reward in the end.
    Dick
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:04 AM

Becky, Welcome from New Jersey.

You really are doing great work with the limited kinds of fabrics you have received. That pile of quilts is so colorful, We know that they will brighten up someone's life as well as keeping them warm. You've turned a bunch of 'lemons' into lemonade.

This message board is the place to come to for help with your quilting questions and also the place to ask for fabrics, etc. if you need them, quilters are the most generous people I know. Keep up the wonderful work. May in Jersey
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 AM

WOW!!! Don't know what else to say, I'm impressed by your determination to get a lot done for those in need in your area! Even if the quilts aren't the prettiest fabric, they are certainly functional and I'm sure they are much appreciated by those who receive them! Keep up the good work, and good luck with that new machine!!
    Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 AM

Hey and welcome from Florida. What a blessing you're being to others and congrats on your new sewing machine! :)
    Old 11-18-2010, 07:46 AM

Welcome from North Alabama. How far away from Rzeszow? I have a dear penpal that lives there. You are doing a fantastic, wonderful work.
    Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 AM

Hi Becky: What you are doing is a wonderful thing!! It must be very gratifying to give these women something cheerful and bright. I hope you enjoy your 7700 - I have one and absolutely love it!! Oh, BTW, welcome from Canada!