Hello

Old 07-18-2024, 07:00 AM

Smile Hello

Hi Everyone,
I happy to be joining all of you. I have been quilting for many years. I started off in my late teens with a - just sew together left-over sewing scraps and back it with a sheet - but in the past several years, I've been enthralled with the internet in learning how to actually learn the methods of quilting and making actual quilting patterns. I can say it has been exciting to learn so many new things, and finally move on to actually having the right equipment and better sewing machines and learning machine quilting on a domestic machine.

I'm currently working on a throw, made with different size panels and having a bit of an issue with getting it organized to how I want the layout. (I keep changing my mind in how I want the panels to be placed)

I am also putting together a Grandmothers Fan quilt (Queen Size) and I'm at the stage of getting ready to put the batting and backing on the different sections. I generally do 'quilt as you go', block by block, but have recently started doing quilt as you go, in sections. Though I have done multiple quilts with sashing, I also am liking doing the 'quilt as you go' without sashing a little more so, because then the front looks like it is done in one piece and if I do the back in a pattern fabric, it is also hard to see where the different sections have been attached to each other.

However, when through my yearly mammogram, I recently learned I have breast cancer, I've been on pause from my craft room for a couple of months with starting the initial treatment. But I'm wanting some normalcy back and to keep my thoughts from wandering, I'm ready to get back into my craft room and get back to my quilting (as much as I can) and lose myself in it as I go through the treatment. Anyhow, enough about that, perhaps TMI, but it may help if others are facing the same health issues, for chatting with each other.

Back to the subject of quilting, as you can tell, I am excited to be here and equally excited to learn from everyone to up my skills and enjoy sharing.

Thanks for reading,
Cotton

Last edited by quiltingcotton; 07-18-2024 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-18-2024, 07:48 AM

Welcome from north Alabama! I'm sorry about your health struggles. A lot of us have something going on, I personally have a few issues, but cancer isn't one of them, even though it seems to run in my dad's family very strongly. I'll add you to my prayer list.
Old 07-18-2024, 07:57 AM

Welcome from Southern California. It looks like you can teach us a few things, too. Quilting has seen me through many hard times and I hope it will help you get through your current health problems. I wish you good luck and lots of strength!
Old 07-19-2024, 02:30 AM

Dear Cotton, I also quilt some of my quilts in sections. I use a walking foot for quilting most of the time and find bigger quilts just work out better that way. I'm working on Dear Jane right now and doing a few rows at a time. I wish you all the best with your treatments and hope that you can get back to quilting soon!
Marianne in VT
Old 07-19-2024, 03:01 AM

Quilting is my therapy and my passion. It sounds like you have found it yours as well. Sending you a warm welcome and hug from Delaware and best wishes for a safe and speedy recovery. On those days when I am unable to sew due to pain, I find just organizing or petting my fabrics help me cope.
Old 07-19-2024, 03:21 AM

Welcome to the board. Quilting is a great form of escape from problems and worries. Best of luck to you and visit here often.
Old 07-19-2024, 03:58 AM

Welcome to the QB. Pull up a chair there is always room for one more around the quilting frame.
Old 07-19-2024, 08:19 AM

Welcome, am sure you will enjoy your quilting journey.
Old 07-19-2024, 10:06 AM
Power Poster

Welcome, Cotton! Glad to have you here.
I pray your treatment goes well and you have no complications. I also was found to have breast cancer a year ago. I was lucky, only needed a lumpectomy (and reduction of the other breast) and one big dose of radiation during surgery. I'm trusting God to keep me healthy and know that all of my days are in His hands.

Old 07-20-2024, 07:32 AM

Thank you for all the well wishes. It helps to keep my mind occupied with my quilting projects. So glad to hear that your treatment went well, sewbizgirl.