Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hi all from South Africa >
  • Hi all from South Africa

• Hi all from South Africa

Old 08-29-2007, 08:03 AM

Hi Sue! We have been baking in North Carolina all month with plus 90 degree weather each day. We sure could use some of your rain. Have a great weekend!
    Old 01-22-2008, 01:42 PM

Hi Sue:
    I know I'm a few months late but thank you for the nice greeting back in August. Like everyone who responded, my favorite place next to being with my DH is being in my sewing room with the sewing machines, computer, CD music, and our kitties in their quilt scrap boxes.

The last couple days we've had a cold snap all across the USA...Our temps dipped to about 12 degrees last night but the mid West and East were below zero and the wind is blowing all across the land so that makes everything colder.

Do you have any trouble getting fabric in SA? A friend went on a mission to Uganda and said fabric was hard to come by there. She did bring me a small swatch with an elephant painted on the fabric that is lovely. I will frame it as it isn't big enough to make anything with. Her job on this mission trip was to help teach some of the Ugandanese people how to sew so they can get jobs in the major city of Kempala. She loved the experience, the people and HATED the used sewing machines that were donated to the mission and transported by ship to Uganda only to find these machines were all in need of MAJOR repairs and parts which are almost impossible to get ...either too expensive or just not available. She said she has decided the next time she decides she needs a new sewing machine she's going to buy a new one and ship THE NEW ONE and keep her old one and get it repaired here.

Have a great day.
    Feathers
    Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM

Thanks for replying
    We have had very hot few days lately with temps around 42*C and it will be like this for some time now as we are now in the middle of summer.
    I dont have such a hard time finding fabrics around here. I also do a lot of mail ordering from some lovely quilting shops in Cape Town.
    Hope you are all having a great sewing week.
    take care.
    Old 01-22-2008, 02:09 PM

Nice to hear from you...so glad you are able to get fabric kinda, sorta locally. We have a friend who just recently moved to Cape Town, SA. She works for a travel agency and moved there with her kitty and 2 suitcases of clothes. We think she is VERY courageous but this is her lifelong dream and she finally got the opportunity to go and she jumped at the chance.

Have a nice summer (we're having a cold winter, right now).
    Feathers
    Old 02-06-2008, 12:23 PM

Hi I am also in SA where abouts are u

I live in Johannesburg- anywhere close to you?
    Old 02-06-2008, 09:42 PM

Now I heard of South Dakota, and South Carolina, and even South America, no wait, thats a continent... but where in the Good ole US of A is South Africa? Is it down by Mississippi?

*L*

Welcome.

tim in SOUTH San Francisco bay
    Old 02-07-2008, 12:03 AM

Now I heard of South Dakota, and South Carolina, and even South America, no wait, thats a continent... but where in the Good ole US of A is South Africa? Is it down by Mississippi?

*L*

Welcome.

Funny tim....

sue in SOUTH California!
    Old 02-07-2008, 12:39 AM

Welcome, I’m curious though, what kind of 'climate' quilts do you make in South Africa? I know how the Hawaiians developed their art form to suit the climate, so is it something similar with the heat there, or do you actually use them for warmth? This may sound ignorant, but I always think of Africa as a very hot place. For art or warmth is the question then, and hey, when do we get some pictures?
    Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter

*L*

Welcome.

Now wait a dog gone minute, I see your feet 'on' the quilt, now you say your are 'in' the bay? C'mon, which one is it Tim? :lol:
    Old 02-07-2008, 06:15 AM

Hi Sue:
    Steve asked a question that I've been wondering about, too. I have been asked to go on a mission trip to Uganda later this year and they would like me to teach folks how to make quilts. Their hope is to learn some techniques so they can make and sell the quilts in the markets in Kempala. I always think of Africa the same as Steve does, hot, dry and no need for blankets/quilts. Maybe the quilts they want to make are for the tourists to buy and take back home with them???? Anxious to hear your ideas on this subject. Thank you.