Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hi all from South Africa >
  • Hi all from South Africa

• Hi all from South Africa

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers
    Hi Sue:
    Steve asked a question that I've been wondering about, too. I have been asked to go on a mission trip to Uganda later this year and they would like me to teach folks how to make quilts. Their hope is to learn some techniques so they can make and sell the quilts in the markets in Kempala. I always think of Africa the same as Steve does, hot, dry and no need for blankets/quilts. Maybe the quilts they want to make are for the tourists to buy and take back home with them???? Anxious to hear your ideas on this subject. Thank you.
    Hi all,
    Africa is a huge place. South Africa is situated at the very tip, the next piece of land south of it is Antarctica. From what I know, they have four seasons, like most of the USA. It's moderated by the currents on both sides of the Cape of Good Hope, but I am sure quilts made there are used, appreciated and loved as much as in our northern climates.

Now Uganda is much closer to the equator. They do have mountains there though so this might be why you would need quilts in that location. Some of the mountains form an area called 'The Mountains of the Moon'. Sounds pretty nice. It's major peak is at 16000 feet or so. Sounds cold.

By the same token, I won't be making many heavy quilts here in the Bay area of SF. A very cold day here gets down to 30 deg. F.

tim in san jose
    Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks for the info, Tim. I have been reading a bit about Uganda but haven't gotten to into the research yet. The missionaries tell us it's tropical and they "sweat" all year around but ???? Light weight quilts would be good, I'm sure.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:36 AM

Hi all

I am not an experienced quilter - but I believe our quilts are not usually that different from yours in USA. However, we don't tend to use heavy thick batting but do use the cotten type batting from USA. I use my quilts both summer & winter - our houses are made for the heat and not for the cold weather. My kids are sleeping under them right now.

The best quality fabrics come from USA but they are expensive. We do have nice local fabric - but they are not generally specifically made for quilting so you have to watch out for the "stretch". In particular we have an ethic style cotton fabric called Shwe Shwe - it is nearly always blue and white but can be found in brown & cream and red & white. It comes in a variety of patterns - most of which are suitable for quilting as they are smallish prints but the colour does run, so I wash them a dozen times with salt in the water to help fix the dye. Only when the water runs clear do I use them in a project. The best manufacturer of Shwe Shwe is Da Gama - not sure if they have a web site - I will look and if they do I will post it - that way you can have a look if you would like to.

We do have hot weather here, Durban on the east coast is generally hotter and more humid than the rest of the country and Cape Town in the south has cold wet winters. Johannesburg has the best of it - rain in hotish (30 degree C) summers and bright sunny but dry winters (12 degree C) - both temps at midday. When it does snow outside of the mountain areas - it makes headline news!

I have not been to Uganda - but do originally come from Kenya ... In winter (june to August) it can be cool and quite cold at night, summer is generally very hot - if however you are used to a cold climate you might even find the winter warm and wonder why all the locals are wearing jerseys. It amuses me to see the jerseys of the locals alongside the spaghetti straps of the tourists!

:D :D :D
    Old 02-10-2008, 06:39 AM

I can't believe we are "talking" to people as far away as Africa. That is so cool.
    Judy in Ohio
    Old 02-10-2008, 08:11 AM

Judy ...I agree, I can't believe we can have written conversation with anywhere in the world via e-mail ...it's mind boggling

RuthClarke:
    thank you for the info about your weather and fabric availability in South Africa. I really would love to take that trip to Uganda in Sept. and helping the Ugandanese folks learn to make quilts would be so fun. Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:04 AM

Welcome!

I have never been to SA, but a dear friend was there for several months, working in universities teaching clothing construction and helping catalog collections of historic costume. She loved every minute of it. After seeing her pictures and hearing her stories of her time spent there, I would LOVE to visit!

M
    Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 AM

MissTreated:
    The Uganda "boat" leaves in Sept. Do you want to go? I'm still making up my mind. My DH thinks I shouldn't because of some medical issues but I would really like to go. It's a 3 week trip with about 8 other neat people.
    Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 PM

I have just got around to this and will like to say that I am sorry about not getting here sooner. I live near Cape Town about 30km from the West Coast and love it. We have all four seasons here and winters are very cold in some places. Snow is also part of our winters. But do not get as cold as some places. Our climate is just the opposite of USA more like Australia. We are able to get fabrics via internet and also there are some lovely quilt shops in the bigger cities. I use quilts all the time, and have lots in my home. Some of the countries in Africa are best to keep away from if one does have any medical issues. I have been to Namibia a few times as my daughter and her family live there now. Have been a bit further into as some say "Dark Africa" and it is not so dark, just different. Please forgive me for not getting back sooner but will answer anything you want to know about this country.
    Susan
    Old 12-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Hi, and welcome from OKlahoma.