Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hi from a Husband of a quilter in North Central PA >
  • Hi from a Husband of a quilter in North Central PA

• Hi from a Husband of a quilter in North Central PA

Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM

Welcome, your story reminded me of my own. Just recently went to PA for vacation. My Honey says I can spot a quilt sign a quarter mile away but can't read the road signs to get us to our destination...LOL Its so nice to hear the you support her love of quilting. So whats your love besides your honey?
    Old 08-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Welcome to the group, I too have a wonderful husband that supports my quilting habit and he too likes to fiddle with the machines. I predict that you will try building a quilt very soon. Nursie76 your a lucky woman.
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by nursie76
    Originally Posted by cjomomma
    Hi and welcome to the board. May I ask what your wife' s board name is. We are a family here. All the men and women we seem to share our lives with each other.
    It's me, nursie76, I am the lucky wife of "husband-of-a-quilter".
    He really is my better half, no doubt about it...was just "consulting with him on colors for the border of a quilt a little while ago.
    Maybe you folks can help me convince him to learn to quilt 8-)
    As I was reading your DH post my thoughts were running this direction, "I wonder if he & his wife live close to nursie76 because I am hoping to get close to where she lives when I am vacationing there. Then I would have someone else to meet with in that area." Surprise!
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:12 PM

Hi and welcome from Alaska. What a refreshing story.
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM

Thank you all for the very warm welcome. I do support my wife’s addiction, er hobby, but she also supports my quirky life. Among the many things I have a tendency to collect things that almost borders hoarding. Life is too short and we might as well enjoy it as long as we are able. I don’t think this house will support two quilters but who knows maybe I will post my first quilt before long.
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
    Hello and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! Glad you joined us :lol:

We have several make quilters here and Billy who is a wealth of info on the older machines :wink:

here is a link to the area with vintage machines

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm
    Thanks for the info, I have been following this thread for awhile. It is a wealth of information.
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mstandridge
    my father is an avid quilter, my mother also quilts. but dad took is up after he was disabled due to rhemitod arthris. It keeps his hands limber. they can always be counted on to donate a quilt for any function such as grads from church to church fund raiser even church conferences. Neither one has gotten into FMQ to hard on their hands but mom ties all the quilts. here are a coulpe pictues of their work the first is my nephew kyle's church graduation quilt. I actually did the blocks and never got around to setting them so gave them to them. they thought it was extra special that his aunt had mad the blocks.
    the second is a second quilt my dad made using thangles. i was trying to get hin to do HST were still working on them but since I'm in Missouri and they are in Minnesota its a challenge. but I am very proud to have a dad that quilts!! Now I just need to get my husband quilting, but his support is AWESOME!!!
    Your parent's quilts are beautiful. I am partial to the first one but both are very beautiful. I know how much work goes into making a quilt and they look very proud in the picture.
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM

Welcom HOAQ.... glad you jumped in!
    Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Welcome, your story reminded me of my own. Just recently went to PA for vacation. My Honey says I can spot a quilt sign a quarter mile away but can't read the road signs to get us to our destination...LOL Its so nice to hear the you support her love of quilting. So whats your love besides your honey?
    I love to take things people throw away and make them work again. Some call it dumpster diving but I call it a form of recycling. I like photography and altering the pictures to my liking. I love road trips and hot summer days. I have 3 grown children, one grandson, and a very, very, very spoiled dog. That pretty much sums it up.
    Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by husband-of-a-quilter
    Hi! Yes I am a husband of a quilter. We are a special breed for sure. The children are out on their own now so our son’s room is the sewing room, our dining room is now full of sewing stuff including a Juki on a New Joy frame, our living room has a cutting table in it and there is material stuffed everywhere. We travel a lot and somehow manage to find quilt shops in the most obscure places and of course we have to stop, even if it is 40 miles off the beaten path. There is just no escape, they seem to be everywhere. I have been spotted waiting in line at our local Bernina store before they open to catch the early bird specials. Even our local JoAnns staff knows my name!! What I find fascinating is that her sewing machines cost more than the cars we drive. And when I take a day off from work the staff simply say, “Another quilt show huh.” Truth be known I would have it no other way, but don’t tell her that. Since my wife joined this board I have been lurking and find it quite fascinating. It is a great cross section to the everyday life from people throughout the world. You all celebrate the happy times and you are all there to support each other during the rough times. And you don’t seem to care who they are or where they are from. You just all share the same passion, quilting!! I joined because I find sewing machines fascinating so I started collecting them, especially the mid sixties to early seventies Japanese machines. I have been reading the threads on old sewing machines with great interest. I also enjoy the great pictures of the quilts you make (by the way I like bright colors especially yellow). I do not quilt, yet, but who knows I just might. There really is a wealth of information here and you all are so willing to share it. Thank you.
    You are a real keeper and sounds like you would be a great addition to the board!!! Thank you for all the kind words!! I believe we all feel the same thing about each other!! Great to have you here!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumbup: Ms. Shawn from Virginia