Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine >
  • Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

• Hi, I'm a true newbie, in fact, I own a never used sewing machine

Old 09-24-2011, 02:05 AM

hi there , i am in australia, i have made my first sampler quilt with great success !! i am so proud of myself and i was so scared to use a rotary cutter and didnt understand measurements in inches as we use centimetres and metres here . Its a fantastic hobbie ! i am now collecting old lace doillies and am after a pattern or ideas to use them to create a quilt so if anyone has any ideas feel free to send me a note. happy quilting
    Old 09-24-2011, 02:54 AM

Read the replies....and they're right on target. You'll catch on quickly...and then it'll be a bond that will never be broken.

Trust me - I know these things. Even when I'm down and out ill I find myself in the retreat room (aka sewing/study room).
    Old 09-24-2011, 02:59 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by TxHoneybee
    Hi! I am a true newbie from San Antonio, Tx. I have been admiring quilts that others have made for quite some time. And though I only own one, I've been wanting to learn how to make my own for years. Now as I draw closer to retirement, I find that I really want to learn how now. I hope this doesn't sound insane though...I need to learn how to sew first! I hope my years as a microbiologist will help me in the details! If anyone can help with suggestions of how I should start, I would appreciate it. In fact, if there are threads I should read that would help please share with me. Oh, do y'all think my basic singer sewing machine, 5838c, can get me started or should I start saving for a much better sewing machine? Thanks ladies!
    Welcome from Indianapolis, IN. I know you are kind of old to join but you might look around for a 4H group to "help" or you could just go to your county agent office and buy a 4H beginner sewing project manual. Sounds dumb but they really do cover the basics and have good instructions.
    Old 09-24-2011, 03:00 AM

TxHoneybee, it is a great retirement plan!
    Lots of good advice given here already. As for details, I hope your career will let you pass some details as, I have learned lately that, it does not have to be perfect unless you want to enter it in a contest. Nobody is going to look at it with a microscope loll, and if they do.... too bad. This is for fun and, unless I get paid (which I don't) I want to keep it a hobby!
    If I pay for it it's a hobby
    If I get paid for it then, it's a job! that's my retirement philosophy.
    I don't know if you happened to read my post describing my "beginning" but here it is..
    all I would suggest is: take a class if you can, and, start small. I found it to be encouraging!
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-98259-1.htm
    Old 09-24-2011, 03:05 AM

Sit and read ie look over the owners manual of your unused sewing machine. Familiarize yourself! Introduce yourself to your sweet little machine, as she will become your very best friend! Be sure you know how to do the basics, ie threading, winding the bobbin,actually putting the bobbin into the machine, sewing a straight line, and making sure you can do the 1/4" seam( this is used most commonly in quilting). Then try a quilt shop, and find out if they have basic quilt piecing classes! My best wishes for your success! I look forward to seeing your first accomplishment! Even if it is small! In fact, it is best to start small! Something like a doll quilt, or a mug rug, they ar very usable,too!
    Sincerely, Mary Jo
    Plano,Tx
    Old 09-24-2011, 03:25 AM

Hello, and welcome from Michigan!
    Old 09-24-2011, 03:29 AM

Hi! I'm new too. I own a sewing machine, but I never use it. I hand quilt and either buy tops or just quilt whole cloth. However, I am going to try to make a wall hanging for my dad for Christmas, and it will involve sewing embroidered blocks together! Eeeeek!
    There's lots of free info in the library and this board and youtube and everywhere! We love to talk about our craft! I caught the bug when I found out the church next to my dad's house has a quilting bee every week. I tried to go there as much as I could, but it was on Tuesday mornings and I worked evenings. Sometimes I slept right through it! But the ladies at the 'Bee were more than happy to teach me everything I know!
    Old 09-24-2011, 04:02 AM

Hi from Alabama, always good to learn something new, keeps the brain working,,,,good luck, take your time and have fun!!!!!
    Old 09-24-2011, 04:15 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome!!! I just wanted to say HI :D
    Lots of good advice here but I don't think
    anyone has told you how addicting quilting is!!!
    Best addiction I know of :D:D
    Old 09-24-2011, 04:19 AM

Welcome to you , honeybee. Glad ya joined us. I'd stick with the older machine til you learn a little more. Just me sayin. If you will PM me I think I have a beginners book on how to sew. Good luck