Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Hi - New Quilter. Looking for a pattern idea >
  • Hi - New Quilter. Looking for a pattern idea

• Hi - New Quilter. Looking for a pattern idea

Old 07-12-2008, 05:30 AM

Hi there!
    I'm 22 years old, live in Texas.

I am relatively new to quilting. The first quilt I finished was for my mom and dad's anniversary, this past March. I had their names and wedding date embroidered on it, and machine quilted it myself. I only have a photo of the top but here it is:

I am working on a quilt for my grandparents right now, their 50th anniversary is in a month. I really need to get it finished. I got all the fabric cut and sorted into the shapes, and sewed the first star last night. I was so pleased with it, I took so much time carefully cutting and it paid off, all of the seams lined up PERFECTLY in the star. The edges are another matter but I think I can trim it okay.
    Here is the pattern:

and the fabrics I chose:

Anyway, I just got a bunch of "charm" squares in lots of great colors. 2" and 4" squares. I saw a pattern once that used lots of colorful squares only on a white background and formed diagonal lines criss crossing. I can't seem to find one like that online, I know I had it before in my bookmarks but I lost it.
    Does anyone know of any free patterns online like that? Or anything cool I could do with these using a white bg?

Later I will be making a quilt in fall colors for my MIL but I have no idea what pattern I will use for her :)

Thanks and I look forward to chatting with everyone!!
    Old 07-12-2008, 05:42 AM

The colors you picked are wonderful. For a "new" quilter, that pattern looks scary to me. Of course I try to stick with squares and triangles, I'm not so adventuresome as of yet. Good luck and can't wait to see the finished product. By the way, blue and white quilt was very pretty also.
    Old 07-12-2008, 05:44 AM

Thanks! I had help from the quilt shop :) I thought the pattern would be a nice challenge and it was rated "confident beginner" on it ;) Once I cut out ALL the fabric I thought oh no, what did I get myself into! But I think it will be amazing when it's done so it will be worth it. It's their 50th after all!

Thanks!!!
    Old 07-12-2008, 06:00 AM

How long do you have to make the quilt? I am a great one for getting the fabric .......... cutting it .................. put it partially together .................. finish the top............................................... ......................then finish the rest of it. I guess I'm not the type that needs instant gratification. :wink: So good luck, and can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbup:
    Old 07-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Welcome from Oklahoma!!! Your quilt is beautiful! I love that pattern you have picked out, what is it called? I t sounds like the pattern you are looking for might be an Irish Chain maybe.

Here is a link to one

http://www.quilt.com/Blocks/IrishChain/IrishChain.html
    Old 07-12-2008, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by tarib
    How long do you have to make the quilt? I am a great one for getting the fabric .......... cutting it .................. put it partially together .................. finish the top............................................... ......................then finish the rest of it. I guess I'm not the type that needs instant gratification. :wink: So good luck, and can't wait to see the finished product. :thumbup:
    Well I need to have it done by August 8th :o I know insane right? I can do pretty good if I just take a Saturday and work the whole day, I'll be doing more on it tonight. I would have taken more time but I didn't think we'd be going to their anniversary party until recently and I really wanted to take it with me.

We have almost finished renovating my sewing room, the guys are texture-ing it now, so later I'll move everything in and have a great place to work. I'm lucky, I get a home office for my day job and a sewing room for my crafts! I have the best DH ever ;)

Here are the photos I took of the fabric after cutting ;)

And my first star. Only one corner is a bit crooked. I think it's good. Sorry it's blurry though

Originally Posted by mgshaw
    Welcome from Oklahoma!!! Your quilt is beautiful! I love that pattern you have picked out, what is it called? I t sounds like the pattern you are looking for might be an Irish Chain maybe.
    Thanks! The pattern is called stars and pinwheels from Neutral Essentials with Alex Anderson. The quilt shop woman said any Alex Anderson books would be good for me as a beginner. I want to do ALL the quilts in this book, they are amazing. I wanted to add a bit of pop to it besides the neutral and that green striped one! I bought extra yards I love it so much. It's going to be the binding too and it's awesome.

The blue and white one was a very simple pattern from a magazine, it's called Grandmother's Pride. Which was funny cause I made it for MY mom! :) And she LOVED it.

The Irish Chain - I found this one: http://www.mccallsquilting.com/qb/pattern_603/

I bet if I did it like that it would look awesome. With white as the background and these nice bold colors.
    Old 07-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Hi from Mass. Another one who jumps both feet into the fire. Your quilts are beautiful. Great job. And a Quilter is born.
    Old 07-12-2008, 11:10 AM

Welcome Jesirose! You sure are an ambitious newbie quilter!! More power to you!!! I love your projects and think it is awesome that you are so young and enthusiastic about quilting. Keep us posted on your progress. I look forward to seeing your grandparents' finished quilt.
    Old 07-12-2008, 11:47 AM

Welcome from Ontario Canada. Wow your quilt top looks great! the pattern you are working on looks hard. I just finished the same block but it was called Austin on www.quiltingcache.com
    Old 07-12-2008, 12:07 PM

Thanks everyone!