Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • Link to research Singer models >
  • Link to research Singer models

• Link to research Singer models

Old 05-27-2018, 07:01 AM

Default Link to research Singer models

Hello there everyone my name is Jennifer... I just came across this site today as I was starting to look for information on a vintage Singer machine that I've had for several years. I went to one of the postings on this site, that gave me this link for a double-digit model number http://www.singerco.com/support/machine-serial
    It says they're not active or available. does anyone have a suggestion for a place that I can go to for researching my specific model and value and parts for this model?
    I believe is a 15-88, as it is a treadle machine and not at all portable. I have the instruction book, multiple parts, and a model number, AF121936. I assume that means it was manufactured in 1936 however I don't know this is a very beginning of my research.
    Old 05-27-2018, 07:34 AM

Once upon a time, I saved the entire Singer website to my hard drive ... the S/N AF121936 was "issued" in 1938 (may very probably have been *manufactured* in '36 but not *issued* until '38).
    Old 05-27-2018, 01:03 PM

I have not seen a site that lists a value for any of the vintage sewing machines.
    Old 05-28-2018, 01:23 AM

Welcome to the board, Jennifer! I love vintage Singers too. Here is a good website. http://ismacs.net
    Old 05-28-2018, 03:56 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
    Old 05-29-2018, 04:59 AM

http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_mach...-database.html has a database for Singer Serial numbers. From my understanding, the dates given for the serial number is the date that the serial. number was assigned and would have been manufactured sometime after that and maybe even shortly after the date the next numbers were assigned for that particular model. I know that others have found some mistakes in the database. Sometimes it is a misreading of the number either on the machine or in the database.

I've seen ads for machines listed as being for a model number because they had a manual for that model number, however the machine shown is not the machine that the manual is for. Evidently, the person posting didn't compare the picture in the manual to the machine they have sitting in front of them.

What parts are you looking for? The domestic model number 15s take standard low shank presser feet. Parts can be found on ebay, craigslist, thrift stores and online stores like <cite class="iUh30">https://shop.sew-classic.com</cite><cite> </cite>

One of the best threads about worth of vintage sewing machines is "How Much Is My Machine Worth?" Question Answered
    Bottom line value is what price seller and buyer agree on. I've seen a couple of machines on craigslist that keep getting listed for years on end. Evidently they don't get the message that their machine is not worth what they are asking for it and unwilling to lower the price.

Treadles are fun to sew on and are good straight stitch machines.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.