Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • machine quilting >
  • machine quilting

• machine quilting

Old 01-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Location: Living the dream. Part of the year in the east and part of the year in the west

All the responses to your question Chance were great for me. I have been too intimidated to even try to do my quilts on my machine. Maybe I will make a smaller quilt and try stitching it myself.
    Tricky
    Old 01-12-2008, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Tricky
    All the responses to your question Chance were great for me. I have been too intimidated to even try to do my quilts on my machine. Maybe I will make a smaller quilt and try stitching it myself.
    Tricky
    try to do as few stops and starts as possible so that you have the fewest loose ends. stitch in place wherever you have an end to keep from raveling. i think it's best on a table machine to start in the center, so you don't have to worry about the lumpy roll under the machine arm, as well as puckering. use lots of pins but don't don't don't try to sew over them. you might try those tacky things that you shoot with a gun. i have good luck with those with a very fine needle in the ditch, using the shortest tacks in can find.
    Old 01-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Location: Living the dream. Part of the year in the east and part of the year in the west

Thank you for the info I will tuck it away for when I try.
    Tricky
    Old 01-12-2008, 09:24 AM

Congratulations on getting to the near final stage of your quilt!!! I can't wait to see a picture of it when it's completed.

As far a machine quilting, I found wearing rubber gloves to be helpful. It can be those very thin ones that you can see through. Or whatever it available to you. The gloves allows you to move the quilt along while stitching without slippage. (They also protects the quilt from any natural skin oils or accidental blood from pin pricks.) Aslo, I have a "walking foot" on my machine. It helps move the top and bottom layers together in one smooth motion.

Have fun!!!