Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • My BIG project!! >
  • My BIG project!!

• My BIG project!!

Old 07-25-2011, 10:37 AM

If you know what their favorite color or animal is you can personalize them a little. Johnny gets one with lots of blues, Suzie gets one with horses and Sally gets one with more yellows, Billie gets the one with fish and Nancy gets on with more floral fabrics etc.....
    Old 07-25-2011, 10:40 AM

Hi Sheri and welcome to the board from NE Ohio.
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM
    Banned

Wnen you make the label and usually add who made and who quilted maybe you could give grandma credit for the fabric somehow. As time goes by and the see their labels and remember who made the quilts they also remember grandma.
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:12 AM
    Google Goddess

thanks for the links

Wow, great project you are doing, everyone will enjoy them

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    What a great idea. We did the same with my FIL's shirts after he passed on. We made teddy bears out of them and put them all in a black plastic bag and the grands just reached in blind and pulled one out.

I have some links here as to patterns to get you started.

http://www.ashevillequiltguild.org/A...or%20Linus.pdf

http://www.popularpatchwork.com/news/article.asp?a=5294

Besides this board this is a site with so much info and patterns.

http://quilting.about.com/

http://quilting.about.com/od/quiltpa...asy_quilts.htm
    Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by SheriR
    I'm nearly in tears at these quick and sweet responses. I did mean same or different pattern. There is so much material so none would be the same in color/print. I also can't make them per individual just boy/girl. I couldn't bear to have anyone say... "his/hers is better, fancier, prettier then mine". So the plan will be to make them all and wrap them up and everyone picks a secret package; Oldest grandchild to youngest. Hopefully grandma can be there!
    Hi and welcome from Las Vegas! Sounds like you have a great idea with the secret packages! They'll be really excited to choose I'm sure.

The label idea is great too!
    Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 PM
    Power Poster

Hi and welcome from New York. How thrilling it is for you to take on your MIL's stash and a wondeful idea about making all those special quilts. I am assuming your MIL was a quilter, if so, how wonderful to be able to get advice as you move along this incredible journey. Start with one pattern and as your skills improve move onto something a little more challenging. One pattern can look so different when you change the colors. Good luck to you in this indeaver and please post your works.
    Old 07-25-2011, 01:14 PM

what a wonderful project. You say you are a new quilter. How new are you at it. Have you done one quilt or never! I would suggest you start with very simple at first and see as you go along.... sometimes it can get overwhelming if we see too big for a start
    I can't wait to see what you decide to do. Keep us posted please. I can't wait to see some picture of your progress

I am a very new quilter and still working on my first big quilt (twin bed) with no pattern and different blocks and my next quilt will be "simple" lolll
    Old 07-25-2011, 01:19 PM

Let the fabric "talk" to you and then decide how to make each one.
    Old 07-25-2011, 02:12 PM

I had grandma write a few words I will put in the corner of each quilt. I didn't think of adding my name, I wanted it to be purely grandma. You have me thinking!!! Thanks
    Old 07-25-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by helou
    what a wonderful project. You say you are a new quilter. How new are you at it. Have you done one quilt or never! I would suggest you start with very simple at first and see as you go along.... sometimes it can get overwhelming if we see too big for a start
    I can't wait to see what you decide to do. Keep us posted please. I can't wait to see some picture of your progress

I am a very new quilter and still working on my first big quilt (twin bed) with no pattern and different blocks and my next quilt will be "simple" lolll
    I've done some simple simple square/strip quilts. Nothing elaborate from a book. My sister came to visit me in February and helped me pick a new sewing machine with money my mother left me. I got a Vicking/Husqvarna Topaz 30. I'm still learning how to use THAT!! But three of my sister quilt so I've been hit with the bug! I'm so excited to get my MIL's fabric and put it to use where all her children will enjoy it forever!