• Introduce Yourself
  • New from California >
  • New from California

• New from California

Old 07-24-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by sltiffee
    I live in Burney. Just off of 299 about 1 hour east of Redding
    Sharon
    Hello Nice to meet you. I haven't been to the redding area . I don't drive but I do have transportation and sometimes i can get someone to drive me if I need to go somewhere.
    Is Burney a small town like paradise?
    Barb
    Old 07-24-2010, 02:55 PM

Burney is a lot smaller then Paradise. Only about 3,000 people. I was born and rasied in Gridley. My Daughter was a firefighter out of Paradise for seeral years.
    Sharon
    Old 07-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Hello Sharon,
    I love small towns. I gotten to see a couple of the small towns in this area. I haven't been able to get out for the past two years and now I can since a friend helped me get a van. I moved here from Fresno and I am glad I did. I don't know if I could make it in a large city anymore. There was just to much violence for me plus my husband a the time got a job here.
    I appreciate fire fighters. It is a tough job.I was evacuated when we had the fires come through here and it was very scary. The fire dept had fire engines in my yard.
    I live in a small place but the neighborhood is quite and the neighbors are very nice.
    I spend most of my time making quilts and tending to a small herb garden I have .
    This week I am going to try to set something up with the local independent living center to teach a class on making landscape quilts. The quilt I just finished was made to offer as a donation for them to raise some money.
    The cuts to the budget are really hurting the physically challenged community.
    I am physically challenged my self and I want to become more involved in the community.
    Hope you are having a great weekend.
    My Best
    Barb
    Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM

Hi Barb.
    Thank you. We had a great Weekend. Two of my 3 Granddaughters came up for the weekend. We just got back from taking them home. My DH picked them up Thurs. in Readding. and we took them home this afternoon. They are 13 & 3. My 3rd Granddaughter is 3 mos. Her Mother woun't let her Come. I sounds like you have an intersesting life even if you are disabled, My Husband & I are both Handicaped. He is a Rt. Below the Knee amputee, an I'm Fat and have a minor Heart condition and a plate and screws. Also I have very poor vision. I make mostly scrappy quilts. But do to my poor vision I don't sew as much as I use too. I don't drive eather, but my DH doese. You may e-mail me @
    [email protected]
    Sharon
    Old 07-26-2010, 08:22 AM

I love living in a small town, too. I've tried cities, and Suburbia - left my hometown 4 times and I keep being led back here...OK, I get it God! My ex and I almost moved to Paradise years ago. We drove into town and there was a deer just hanging out downtown! Here I just get bears getting into my garbage!
    Old 07-26-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by sltiffee
    Hi Barb.
    Thank you. We had a great Weekend. Two of my 3 Granddaughters came up for the weekend. We just got back from taking them home. My DH picked them up Thurs. in Readding. and we took them home this afternoon. They are 13 & 3. My 3rd Granddaughter is 3 mos. Her Mother woun't let her Come. I sounds like you have an intersesting life even if you are disabled, My Husband & I are both Handicaped. He is a Rt. Below the Knee amputee, an I'm Fat and have a minor Heart condition and a plate and screws. Also I have very poor vision. I make mostly scrappy quilts. But do to my poor vision I don't sew as much as I use too. I don't drive eather, but my DH doese. You may e-mail me @
    [email protected]
    Sharon
    Hello Sharon,
    Good to hear from you.
    Glad to hear you had a good week end . It was nice here but warm:)
    How wonderful to visit with the grandkids. It is so nice to spend time with them. What a nice range of ages.
    I would love to see my granddaughters, I have three and one grandson. I am hoping that I will be able to visit them soon .
    It is tough living with a disability but I know we are suviors and can have wonderful lives. I don't sew as much as I used to but I quilt still because it helps me with my pain and I really love making quilts.
    I am disabled because I was shot when I was 20 years old. I am parapeligic. I was pregnant when I was injured but my son lived.
    I sew using my elbow to operate my sewing machine and I am blind in one eye.
    Thanks for sending me your email I will write you at that email.
    Scrappy quilts are great. I would like to see some of them. Perhaps you can send me some pics in an email attachment.
    I have a friend who makes scrappy quilts and they are very cute.
    If you need any scraps I have some I can send you.
    Hugs
    Barb

'
    Old 07-26-2010, 12:33 PM

Welcome from Arizona!
    Old 07-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by fuail
    I love living in a small town, too. I've tried cities, and Suburbia - left my hometown 4 times and I keep being led back here...OK, I get it God! My ex and I almost moved to Paradise years ago. We drove into town and there was a deer just hanging out downtown! Here I just get bears getting into my garbage!
    I used to not mind cities when I was younger but when I was younger. But when I was 20 things changed.
    I like paradise and the pace of life . It is a retierment community and we have two holidays a year here which are nice. The first is Johnny Apple Seed day and the other is Gold Nugget day.
    A 56 pound gold nugget was found in this area and so they have a yearly holiday. It is fun. People dress up and they have food, music , craft sales and contests.
    I know what you mean about the dear :lol:
    I didn't know you had bear in your area of course I have never been there so ?
    I see you have 7 children wow . I have one son and I have 4 grandchildren. I would love to see them more than I do but I do call often and keep in contact as much a I can.
    That is a wonderful skill to be able to make costumes. I think there is a Renaissance Faire in Nevada City once a year. I 've never been but it looks like alott of fun. Perhaps you could make costumes to sell to the people participating in the event.
    I am trying to work on selling the things I make. I have been toying with the idea of calling my local Independent living center to offer sewing classes . Just to get out and make contact with others. In these times networking is very important.
    I am on the board of the Fiberarts Connection of Southern Calif. Here is our new blog. -- fiberartsconnection.blogspot.com
    My director is very nice and very knowledgeable about helping women. I can't tell you how much she has helped me.
    She has helped me achieve thing I never thought I could.
    She is a para educator. She may know more resourses.
    I will look forward to the pictures.
    My Best
    Barbara
    Old 07-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Thank you,Barbara! I actually do make some Ren Faire costumes to sell, mostly for custom orders -but if they are "serious" Faire goers, they usually make their own. I also rent costumes to 7th graders when the local middle school has a Faire each Spring. Right now, I'm gearing up for Halloween. Or, at least trying to get my kids to settle on what they want to be - and each year they get more elaborate!

I've taught middle schoolers to sew and I really loved it - how great to make some money telling people about our passion! Good luck!
    Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by fuail
    Thank you,Barbara! I actually do make some Ren Faire costumes to sell, mostly for custom orders -but if they are "serious" Faire goers, they usually make their own. I also rent costumes to 7th graders when the local middle school has a Faire each Spring. Right now, I'm gearing up for Halloween. Or, at least trying to get my kids to settle on what they want to be - and each year they get more elaborate!

I've taught middle schoolers to sew and I really loved it - how great to make some money telling people about our passion! Good luck!
    Hello
    I guess you are right . I didn't think about Faire patrons making their own. Oh no Halloween . I talked to my grandaughters about a costume and they told me they were to old for trick or treat:) Hope you post picture of the costume you make. I would love to see them.
    I talked to a friend yesterday and she has a grandaughter who is 17 and at odds with her dad right now . My friend said that she didn't have the money to do things with her so I suggested that she bring her to my place and we could spend part of the day sewing. My friend told me that was a great idea since her granddaughter likes to do crafts.
    I think it will be fun and I have everything she will need to make something.
    I am working on a hanging sleeve today . I have had trouble with the top of my round quilts flopping forward so I came up with an idea that I think will prevent the problem.
    MY Best
    Barb