Old 06-03-2020, 05:21 PM

Default Newbie

I am a newbie to sewing and quilting. I'm also interested in embroidery and do not know which machine is best for me. My dealer says she has a babylock destiny which was a show piece she can let me have for $2500.00 with full warranty. I feel that it's a great price, but I m hesitant because I was looking for a Janome to match my sewing machine. Should I stick with the Destiny?
Old 06-03-2020, 05:48 PM

Welcome to the Quilting Board. I don't have an answer for you because I don't do embroidery & haven't a clue as to a good deal or not. Hopefully, someone will come along to give you some suggestions. This board is full of helpful & encouraging quilters. We love pictures here & want to see what you are making.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:10 PM

If this is a dealer that used the machine as a Demo Model I would probably go for it. Full warranty, any lessons? I know Babylock is a great brand. Check out what a new one costs.
I have a Janome MC6600P. And when I got it I did not want an embroidery machine, even though I wanted one for years. So one day I took my little Feather Weight in to be serviced at the local repair shop and he asked me if I wanted to look at an embroidery machine - he's a dealer for Husqvarna, Viking, and Elna. I said I didn't have $4K for a machine and he sold me a floor model Viking Designer Topaz for less than half - full warranty - and lessons. It was wonderful He even taught me how to download the designs from the CD's and the internet. He also offered if I wanted to upgrade within a year he would give me the full purchase price as a trade in. How could I say no? And I have not had one minute of regret. It has only needing servicing once in 4 years. I do clean it out often.
There are great programs out there for you to buy. My dealer didn't sell them so I bought mine at the Road to CA show.
Luckily I have a friend that was anxious to learn to use the machine as much as I did - we had great fun experimenting and learning. The classes were good but it seemed I got home and fear took over. My DH sat in the other room laughing at us as we stumbled through it.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:21 AM
Power Poster

I had the Destiny and returned it. They demo a simple coloring page to auto-digitize and only as an outline, not a filled in design. When I got home, though, all of the pictures I tried to have it auto-digitize resulted in the message "this design is too complicated". If your eyes are not good, the screen is too small to adjust points in the design. Also, the actual stitch out is not as nice as my 1980's Brother. They are offering a great price though... my new one was $10k. Good luck with your search. There are many who just love their Janome.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:35 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 06-04-2020, 04:20 AM

Hi & welcome,

The machine and the price would be great for getting started. The machine has nice features and will allow you to grow into them. Yes, there are limits on what can be done with scanning pictures and creating designs.You will get a "too complicated" message.

There is also a button that does allow you to magnify (200%,400%) the screen so you can see and/or edit the design areas. You can create stippling and quilt in the hoop if you like too. I wouldn't hesitate to mix the two brands in my sewing room.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:43 AM

Welcome to the QB! for SE Michigan. I have both older brothers and Janome machines and I love both brands. They are both good manufacturer. With embroidery machines I tend to learn to the Brothers. But do not know a thing about this model. For durability I would go with the Janome. My Janome has out lived 3 of my Brothers machines. I use my machines hard and daily. There is hardly a day goes by that I am not at my sewing machines. I will interchange them according to what I am doing at the time. The brothers are best for embroidery work while the Janome is better for everyday sewing and quilting IMO. Good luck making your choice and again welcome to the QB and I hope to see a good deal of you here.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:57 AM

A warm welcome from Southern Indiana! Happy quilting, and good luck finding your embroidery machine.