Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Introduce Yourself
  • not new at quilting but new at this >
  • not new at quilting but new at this

• not new at quilting but new at this

Old 12-01-2009, 06:39 AM
    dsj

I am in the process of quilting a gmfg also, dating back to the 30's. It is so cute. I love the fabrics they certainly tell a story. They are a lot of work but so worth it. Have fun.
    Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 AM
    dsj

I have loved hand work since I was little too. My family is pretty creative and artistic. I sometimes get too involved with detail that it makes me crazy especially if it looks off I will start over and over again until it's right. Hand quilting is calming to me and it is where my heart is. It's quite a challenge also. Anything teeny tiny I love. Tatting is another favorite of mine. Have a good day.

dsj
    Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM
    dsj

I was watching antiques road show last week, they had some samplers displayed in a museum that were created as school projects of young girls around 8 yrs old. It was a required project for them. They were beautiful. I am always so fascinated by fiber arts of all kinds. Have a great day.

dsj
    Old 12-01-2009, 07:10 AM
    dsj

Hi,

I am actually from M'boro. I love Tennessee but East Tennessee is my favorite. I lived in Gatlinburg for a few years, my parents are still there. There is nothing like the Smokey's. This area has been home for several years now. M'boro is still a nice place just growing up. Do you miss this area?

dsj
    Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 PM

I'm new to the board, too, but want to welcome you from rainy, wet, dreary Oregon!! I hand piece, but also use the machine, and applique`. We are all artists in what we do, no matter our skill level, we all do our best. I'd love to see some before and after pictures; I'll bet they are stunning!!!

YTQ
    Old 12-01-2009, 01:50 PM

Welcome from Utah. I have always hand quilted....it's what I learned from my mother. I machine piece and have just recently ventured into the world of machine quilting simply because my hands cant take the hand quilting as well these days...but I envy anyone who does it...there is nothing like it in my mind!
    Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 PM

Hi and Welcome from Washington State.
    Old 12-01-2009, 06:49 PM
    dsj

I am so far behind in the digital world, this is a huge stretch for me to even sit at this computer but so far this has been fun, meeting so many people with a love for quilting. I only have a couple of friends who quilt and they think I'm crazy for hand quilting. The sad part of my quilting is that the quilts don't belong to me. I repair/restore quilts of all ages and will quilt pieces for others so that leaves me very little time for my own pieces. My sister felt so bad for me she sent me a quilt that she made so I would at least have one made from a family member. She has only been quilting for a couple of months now. She has difficulty using her hands sometimes so the machine works better for her. I never take pictures isn't that terrible. I am banned from the family camera I am a horrible photographer. No one ever has heads and can only be identified from the neck down most of the time.

dsj
    Old 12-01-2009, 06:55 PM

Hi and welcome from northern Illinois. You'll really
    like it here.
    Old 12-01-2009, 06:57 PM
    dsj

Hi K,

I just returned from a trip west I drove through your very unique state. Hwy 70 w. Where does everyone live in Utah? I love to snow ski and would love to ski in Utah. There is nothing like hand quilting that is the only way for me. I love to read about the westward movement and the history of quilts. They have brought so many people together and they still do. Fascinating isn't it?

dsj